VDA-1 and VDA-2
Feb 23, 2006 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
as some know of you know i've been looking to upgrade my dac, which would be fed from the spdif from an M-Audio card. now these two come to mind. i would like to know if there is a large difference between them (i would not plan on getting the optional powersupply, maybe with the VDA-1, but certainly not the VDA-2). what i'm basically looking for is a decent soundstage-as my music is mostly classical. it would feed a Meier HA1 MKII amp and an HD650 headphone. Thanks.
I've already looked around, but i havn't seen much speak on the VDA2 in comparison to the VDA1 or even the VDA2 by itself.

Feb 23, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 10
I had a nice phone discussion with the designer about their DAC's, and from what I gathered the VDA2 should be quite an improvement over the VDA1, not just because the price is higher, but the design ideals sound much better to me. I'd think it would be worth saving up for the VDA2, since it isn't THAT much more, and should be quite a bit better sonically. Of course I'd love to hear one to say for sure
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 10
I never heard the VDA1, but i've been extremly impressed with my VDA2, though I do need more listening, time i've been a bit distracted lately. My girlfriend really loves it though (the vda2)
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 10
I've placed an order for the VDA-2 yesterday, I should have it in 10-14 days, I will write up a comparisson to the VDA-1 shortly after when I've given the VDA-2 some burn in time.

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 10
Great, Asmo, I am interested to know what you think of the VDA-2
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 10
Asmo - great, we'll have to have another meet!
biggrin.gif

What's the price tag on this thing anyways?

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Asmo - great, we'll have to have another meet!
biggrin.gif

What's the price tag on this thing anyways?

Yah, i'm lookin forward to some more meets this year, I've gotten a lot of new stuff since last time.

Its $599 USD for the DAC alone, the VAC-1 external power supply (which I already own) is $159 USD.

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 10
Wow, very reasonable price on the external PSU... I can't wait to hear it. That and Matt's [xand1x] Stello DAC.

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
I've placed an order for the VDA-2 yesterday, I should have it in 10-14 days, I will write up a comparisson to the VDA-1 shortly after when I've given the VDA-2 some burn in time.

excellent, keep us filled in
icon10.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 10
What interests me is that it has a discrete analog output. No opamps has got to give it a smooth sound. I've heard great things about a DAC called a Lite DAC 60 which has a tubed output and upsampling. However, I cannot imagine theVDA-2 isn't extremely good, especially for the price..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back