Vastly improve your DAC1 at no cost (but great risk!)
Mar 8, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg
Anybody can elighten me? I just want to know if its safe to try those new ceramic fuses on DAC1.

A fuse simply melts when a certain rated current is exceeded thus breaking the circuit. The other implication is that if the live wire for any reason touches a grounded case, the fuse blows stopping you being electrocuted.

As long as the fuse blows as rated, the material is irrelevant. There are different time ratings, no fuse blows exactly at its stated value. Slow blow with withstand 500% more for short periods, and should be used in things with large capacitor banks to stop the inrush current blowing the fuse. A quick blow will protect digital circuits, typically, from electrically damaging currents.

For what it's worth, I can't believe anyone would be naive enough to spend $25 on a gold plated fuse

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzzler
A fuse simply melts when a certain rated current is exceeded thus breaking the circuit. The other implication is that if the live wire for any reason touches a grounded case, the fuse blows stopping you being electrocuted.

As long as the fuse blows as rated, the material is irrelevant. There are different time ratings, no fuse blows exactly at its stated value. Slow blow with withstand 500% more for short periods, and should be used in things with large capacitor banks to stop the inrush current blowing the fuse. A quick blow will protect digital circuits, typically, from electrically damaging currents.

For what it's worth, I can't believe anyone would be naive enough to spend $25 on a gold plated fuse

Thanks, that makes sense, I guess it was unclear to me that the danger is from not using a fuse at all. I wouldn't try an "audiophile" fuse just because its gold plated, but the one with a silver wire and ceramic outing makes me wonder a big "what if..."

But what if the power strip/conditioner has its own fuse, does a device connected to it like DAC still needs a fuse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back