Varying Sound opinions of IEM'S
Mar 14, 2012 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

delladood

100+ Head-Fier
Unaware to whether this subject has been covered or not, I'm sure you have all seen the standard opinion where one person loves a headphone and the other person despises it.  Why could this be??? There is several determining factors which affect the opinion

1. Personal Preference:  This one is rather self explanatory... mostly everyone these days who are not audiophiles are BASSHEADS, and I dare you to disagree with me!!!  I can not tell you how many times I speak to friends at school and they give me the same old.  "Dude listen to the bass in these JVC gummy's I bought the other day."  Its not worth my time to go into "Actually chester... my headphones are more balanced, if you listen closely you can hear the punchy but accurate bass, the warm mids, and the crystal clear highs."  They are going to look at you like you have horns growing out of your head.  To sum this topic up, some like accuracy, some like bass, some like no bass, some like a mix, you get the gist!

2. Your Audio Chip/Device:  This may be a bit more confusing, but every single mobile device, including laptops and PC's have a different audio chip inside of it.  I cant tell you how many times people will bash an IE8, a westone 3, a shure SE535, and other top rated audiophile headphones that your redneck cousin would love(No offense rednecks, you guys and girls have awesome trucks... I give you that,) but you get what I'm saying.  We all know the iPhone 4 isnt the best thing to listen to your headphones with, but its not awful.  Want to do a simple test, go to your iphone/ipod(May I note, every generation has an audio chip change) Set your equalizer to R&B, listen to a song and write down how it sounded.  Now, go to your laptop(OR PC), open up itunes, set your equalizer to R&B(Turn your preamp OFF.  That makes everything sound like a train wreck, Preamp is basically an un-needed audio boost) play the same song, write down how that song sounds.  If the laptop does not sound better to you, your straight trippinnn!!!  The audio chip inside a laptop or even the audio card inside a PC will 9/10 times(Unless you have a great sound card on your phone) will blow your ipod's audio chip out of the water, and therefore giving you a clear, accurate, and a more lively sounding listening experience.  Another example would be comparing the audio chip of an iPhone4 to a Samsung galaxy.  Not to bash Samsung.... But wow is it horrible.  Go turn on your garbage disposal and stick your gold plated jack into the center of it.  It will sound the same as the Samsung.  Just a little side tip.  Dont get duped by the Phones with "Beats Audio Inside."  IT DOES NOT SOUND BETTER MY FRIENDS!

3. Defective headphone(DATS IMPOSSIBRU!!):  Contrary to popular belief, it is possible!  I have personally seen a westone 2 with a small opening in the side of the IEM where it almost looked like an engineering error.  In return, the bass response was weak, the isolation was stock iPod headphone quality and it was just impossible.  If you suspect a problem with the headphones, send em back in my friends! The worst the company is going to do is send them back after they have determined nothing was wrong.  Or in a worst case scenario, not check it at all, screw you over, and then send it back and laugh as they picture you raging over a 350.00 defective pair of cans(Which at that point, someone would be getting hit...).  You get the gist im sure!

4.  IE8's for 50 dollars(You bought 8): If the price of an item is $500, and you find it on ebay, or a sketchy china town market back street for $100 dollars.... DONT BUY IT.  Honestly friends... its completely common sense.  I'm sure we've all been tempted to buy it for the "LULZ" just to see, the whole purpose of number 4 is.  Make sure you buy authentic.  Check out large named websites and I would even go to the extent to say "Dont order from amazon or Best Buy". I know I know... your thinking "BEST BUY? They sell beats by dre! they must be legit."  Not always, Best Buy does not always ship online from their various warehouses.  You could be getting a shipment from a random named website!
5.  If it sounds bad... It sounds bad... And the other way around: Nobody likes the sound of a jackhammer in their ear...  Nobody likes nails on a chalk board.  Nobody likes crackly muddy vocals you cant understand...  Believe it or not, we all perceive sound pretty equally, but the way we interpret it is different(This is coming from myself, an audiology student).  You get my gist!  

I really hope I could clarify some things for people! please add some more stuff and leave some feedback! its much appreciated!

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 7
Agree 100% on different ipod audio chips. I have X2 ipod mini's (different gens) an ipod nano and Ipod touch, every one sounds different. I've narrowed the best sounding Ipod I have down to Ipod nano 1G either straight off the HO or using a LOD.

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've narrowed the best sounding Ipod I have down to Ipod nano 1G either straight off the HO or using a LOD.

I agree with this, although now I've passed my 1G Nano on to my mom as the battery life is nearly completely shot. My 3G Nano didn't sound as musical, for lack of a better term.

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #6 of 7
I would also say fit plays a huge role in how the SQ is perceived. Example: Depending on the ear tip type and insertion depth on my SoundMAGIC PL30, I've been able to make it go from bass light (which is what most reviews indicate) to having pretty solid bass and increasing the value in my eyes (and actually making them worth listening to me at times). I only recently discovered this when I got bored and decided to give these a listen again (after sitting idle in its box for years) and really spent a long time experimenting with all the tips I could find/concoct (like decored Shure olives) and how deep they are inserted/what angle it's inserted at/etc.

Given how much variance there is in ear canals from person to person, there's never going to be a tip type/size that works for everyone, and oftentimes there'll be one that would maximize the SQ/sound signature preference for a certain individual that isn't included with the earphones themselves.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 7
Also (as with headphones) musical taste. Many recordings of non-classical music are not mastered to sound their best out of neutral, monitor-style transducers (I intend that as a value-neutral statement of fact). On the other hand, many classical listeners are looking for as flat a frequency response as they can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back