various Grado Labs Headphones
May 10, 2004 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

phkd

100+ Head-Fier
Hello people. I have been a Grado fan for a while and after visiting their website, they have 2 series listed, The RS and the SR. After looking at KR...'s "Headphone Lust Museum" photo album (which is pretty awesome, good job man) I've seen that they have other series such as the HP, alessandro MS, and PS. Are there any more that I don't know about? Are they discontinued? I couldn't find much or any info about them for some reason.
Also, Is there anyone here that can give me a brief explaination of the purpose of the different series (I mean whether they are made for reference, leisure, etc)? I'm not looking for something neutral, like a reference. I want something with a response that will make my rock sound good (you know, the boosted lows and highs, and less out of the mids section). It would be excellent if any of you guys could help me... I probably know nothing on the subject compared to most of you.

May 10, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 24
HP 1000 series consist of 3 models: HP-1, HP-2, HP-3. These were the first Grado headphones, originally designed by Joseph Grado (John Grado's uncle) in late 80's.

As you can see from the Alessandro website, Music Series has also 3 models: MS-1(looks and sounds similar like SR-125's), MS-2 (better version of SR-325) and MS-Pro (a brother of RS-1).

PS-1 Pro should be a flagship of Grado, on the contrary, they're produced for the German market only (Todd makes them available in US 2 pieces/month). The size of metal chambers is as of RS-1. They're assumed to be the best sounding Grado cans ever.

EDIT: Plus there are also Grado SR-40's (discontinued): you can see the info on Grado website, the link is disabled, however the page still exists: http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr40.htm

May 10, 2004 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
omg they look like $20 sony junk that comes with their walkman....lol

They have the SR60 drivers in a cheaper housing,and actually are pretty good sounding phones for the price.They look better in person then the pics.

May 10, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 24
wow thanks. very informative. hahaha TM2 rampage: "german dudes"

I'm going to assume the PS's are out of my price range... yea they are. So i have one more question. I hear that the MS series is fairly neutral, more so than the RS's despite their label as a "reference" headphone. is this true, or is this opinion? i just want something with a warm, rock sound. being a loyal grado fan I have heard the SR series is best for this, but the "music" series made me think otherwise. once again, any knowledge passed on to me would be greatly appreciated.

May 11, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 24
Signature Series : HP-1 HP-2, HP-3 also knows as the HP-1000 (discontinued)
Original Prestige Series : SR-100, SR-200, SR-300 (discontinued)
Prestige Series : SR-40(discontinued), SR-60, SR-80, SR-125, SR-225, SR-325
Reference Series : RS-2, RS-1
Music Series : MS-1, MS-2, MS-Pro
Freesystem : FS-1 (limited edition)
Professional : PS-1 (limited edition) (German Market only)

May 11, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 24
I have the SR-80's. They've got slightly better bass than the 60's. They are very detailed and my go to phones for critical listening on the cheap. However they are very bright. My corda with crossfeed powers them and tames them nicely but I can't listen to them all evening without fatigue.

May 11, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI

Never heard of those..pics?

http://www.freesystems-grado-le.com/productbrochure.htm
tongue.gif

May 11, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #12 of 24
link doesn't work..

May 11, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI

Never heard of those..pics?

ProductBrochure1.jpg

May 11, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #15 of 24
They look like the PS-1's...What's the difference, and why doesn't everyone have one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back