Various Amps I'm considering for K-701/2
Jul 16, 2009 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TLY

100+ Head-Fier
There are a few amps right now that I am considering to pair with my K-702s and I need opinions on them from anyone who has had experience with the K-701/2 and either of these amps.

I am currently running my K-702s out of the discrete amp from my Beresford TC-7520 and to me, it sounds better than anything I've heard. But I am relatively new to this hobby and I haven't heard much yet. And I've been wondering, if it sounds this good out of a discrete headphone amp, then how much better would it sound from a standalone amp? So, I am looking to upgrade and I have a few questions that needs answering. Hopefully some of you experts or anyone with experience with any of these amps can help me out.

My gut feeling is telling me to go with either the Heed Canamp or the Darkvoice 336SE, since I've heard so many good things about these two amps paired up with the K-701/2, but there are a few other amps within the same price range that I am also seriously considering. The Gilmore Lite, and the Meier Corda Swing. Which one of these four would you guys recommend? And I have to say, I am very interested in getting into tubes for the first time.

What's keeping me from the Darkvoice is that I've heard the K-701/2 does not pair well with non transformer coupled tube amps (I don't even know what that means, but I've read that a couple of times.) Is this true? and does the Darkvoice 336SE have a transformer or no? Another thing is, I have also heard that solid state amps do better with the K-701/2 because they have low impedance output and tubes have high output. Is this true also?

The Heed Canamp. Now, it seems like everywhere I search for the K-701/2 I see Heed, Heed, Heed and vice versa. Everyone seems happy with their Heed + K-701/2 combo, but can anyone tell me why the Heed pairs so well with the K-701/2 other than, "it sounds good." What technical aspect about it makes it so special with the K-701/2? Now, I'm not doubting that they do sound good together, I just like to know these kind of things.

I have also been looking at the Gilmore Lite. I've read many good things about it and it is the same price as the Heed. It looks pretty compact and looks pretty cool also. I know looks don't matter, but IMO the Heed Canamp is the ugliest amp I've ever seen. Has anyone compared the Heed and the Gilmore Lite? Is there much of a difference?

Now for the Meier Corda Swing, the cheapest one of the bunch. The reason I am interested in this one is because I have been wanting to try Cross-Feed. I've heard that when you use cross-feed you lose details. If thats the case then I wouldn't really mind. When I listen to music I want to experience it rather than listen to it analytically. Is cross-feed really worth it? And would the Corda Swing be an adequate amp for the K-701/2?

And also to note, if I go with any of these amps I would be pairing it with the TC-7520 and using it as a DAC.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and I'm grateful to anyone who actually read through it, just a curios newb here trying to get the best bang for his buck and also the next amp I'm going to buy will be part of my final rig for a very long time, so I kinda want to get it right.
k701smile.gif
(would've use the K-702 smiley but there wasn't one, lol)

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #2 of 17
I like either the Gilmore Lite or CKKIII for the K701, personally (my main headphone). Not sure what the big deal is with people and the Heed Canamp; I really don't see anything special in the design and I'd rather go with something like gilmore's than what I see in the Heed. I've tried a few Meier amps with the K701 and wasn't thrilled. Swing uses an AD8610/BUF634 combo, which isn't something I tend to care for, personally. Some folks seem to like that sound, though.

As far as the gilmore/ckkiii difference, I find I get more spatial info and more snap out of the gilmore design, whereas I get more mids out of the ckkiii. So, my preference between them tends to vary from time to time, and maybe depending on the music I'm listening to.

I'm not personally a fan of tube amps with the K701. I do see it get recommended from time to time, but I don't find it plays to the K701's strength. I particularly don't care for 'OTL' amps with it; I imagine the high output impedance on such amps is part of the problem. I'd say try before you buy on that one. Well, I'd say that for any of these if you have the opportunity, but probably especially in this case.

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 17
I'm longtime Senn's fanboy and bought Shanling PH100 recently out of curiosity. Since than 90% of the time I use k702. This amp practically cleans up a mess behind the 702 leaving very very nice balance with gorgeously open top end. It's beyond me why the amp isn't more popular around here especially at that price.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 17
OTL tube amps can sound good with the 70x but they need ample power reserves. I am using a SP Extreme and I use the 701s the majority of the time. The volume knob seldom moves from 9 unless I change gain tubes. The problem going with a tube amp and the 70x is the cost of the extra power supply needed to offset the impedance mismatch. Buying a "less expensive" option usually compromises in this area and leaves you frustrated.

I've thought that a hybrid amp would be best for the 701s. They get a more analog sound from the gain tube with the benefits of SS amp power.

JAO

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 17
I'm telling you the Darkvoice 337 is the way to go. I have heard a lot of these solid state amps with the k701/2 and the full flavor of the phones is really brought out by a powerful set of tubes.....the darkvoice 337. Plus it works great as a passive preamp, just plug that bad boy right into your amp for your speakers.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 17
Thanks for the replies guys. After reading some of the opinions here, I am now leaning towards the Gilmore Lite and the Heed. I just saw on Headamp.com that they offer a 30 day trial period so I might give the Gilmore a try then the Heed if I don't like it. I contacted Blackbird Audio about the Heed and they told me that there wasn't a trial period. After doing some research on the C2C, it also seems pretty interesting and it is in my price range so I'll also be considering that also.

The DV337 looks really nice but it is out of my price range.

I also thought about going with a hybrid amp but the one I was looking at (X-Can V8) was out of my price range at $500 so I didn't list it.

If anyone else out there has any experiences with these amps with the K-701/2 your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #11 of 17
the beresford drives the k701 okay, the synergy isn't that great though. i find it to sound cold. i had the heed before and i do prefer it over the gilmore lite. it may not sound as detailed and refined as amps costing 1K, but it definitely has the best synergy i have heard with the k701 so far.

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 17
Hi.
I am looking for headamp with integrated DAC. The source is TEAC WAP 2200 music streamer (FLAC) --> TOSLINK cable into headamp with DAC --> AKG K701.
TEAC Europe GmbH: Features

Some boys adviced me those two headamps with DAC:
Styleaudio TOPAZ
Styleaudio: New model : Styleaudio TOPAZ
iBasso D10 Cobra
iBasso

My question is - which one is better for AKG K701? Slyleaudio TOPAZ (450 USD + shipping) is much more expensive than iBasso D10 Cobra (275 USD + shipping).

I am from Slovak Republic (Europe), so sorry for my poor english.

Thank You very much.

Jul 18, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #13 of 17
well,odar topaz is very good as a dac but not so good as an amp, it might not drive those k701 to their full potential
wink.gif

the same problem with the ibasso, it's a portable amp not a full sized one
smily_headphones1.gif

if you want smth good i'd recommend you the meier corda cantate or go for a swing + dac magic, either way you're getting cheaper than the other two options
wink.gif

i know that pretty sure because i live in europe too and since the topaz and d10 ship from china you'll have to pay a huge bill only for transport ...
Meier-Audio

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #14 of 17
Thank you for advice. The problem is, that Corda Cantate.2 haven't TOSLINK input
frown.gif

Meier Audio
It has only USB input (as I can see on pictures).

So the second combination, as you advised is Corda Swing (245 EUR) + DAC Magic from Cambridge Audio
DacMagic Digital to Analogue Converter
The question is, how much it costs in EU
icon10.gif
It has 2 TOSLINK/SPIF connectors, so it might be good choise. The price is about 340 EUR in Czech Republic. This is the same price as Styleaudio Topaz
DA USB PØEVODNÍK CARAT - TOPAZ - Audiofilský DA pøevodník 24/192 kHz / sluchátkový zesilovaè - www.hifionline.cz
DA PØEVODNÍK CAMBRIDGE DacMAGIC - Digital / Analog pøevodník s upsamplingem 24bit / 192 kHz - www.hifionline.cz

But I prefer all in one solution (headamp + DAC). Have you any other advices please?

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #15 of 17
Thank you for advice. The problem is, that Corda Cantate.2 haven't TOSLINK input
frown.gif

Meier Audio
It has only USB input (as I can see on pictures).

So the second combination, as you advised is Corda Swing (245 EUR) + DAC Magic from Cambridge Audio
DacMagic Digital to Analogue Converter
The question is, how much it costs in EU
icon10.gif
It has 2 TOSLINK/SPIF connectors, so it might be good choise. The price is about 340 EUR in Czech Republic. This is the same price as Styleaudio Topaz
DA USB PØEVODNÍK CARAT - TOPAZ - Audiofilský DA pøevodník 24/192 kHz / sluchátkový zesilovaè - www.hifionline.cz
DA PØEVODNÍK CAMBRIDGE DacMAGIC - Digital / Analog pøevodník s upsamplingem 24bit / 192 kHz - www.hifionline.cz

But I prefer all in one solution (headamp + DAC). Have you any other advices please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back