Variants of Galaxy S II and sound quality?
Nov 6, 2011 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

quadomatic

New Head-Fier
I was curious as to whether different variants of the Galaxy S II might have a different audio chipset. For example, the T-Mobile version of the GSII has a different cpu, so I was wondering if maybe they had put in a different DAC.

AT&T is getting a larger, LTE version of the Galaxy S II, "Galaxy S II Skyrocket", this month. Aside from LTE support, it has a different processor than the original GSII on AT&T. Anyone think there's a good chance that it'll have improved audio? I pay for MOG, so having a smartphone that can play music with good sound quality is kinda crucial...should I just get the iPhone 4S (I shudder inside, don't really want to go Apple...)

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Samsung+Galaxy+S+(TM)+II+Skyrocket+(TM)+-+Black&q_sku=sku5390262#fbid=cFN9lD-fSzP

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 7
Yes this interests me aswell, here in europe we don't get any carrier specific variants but there is a device called the Samsung Galaxy R which is mainly available in eastern europe. The thing is it runs a Tegra 2 chip like the Atrix or the LG Optimus 2X aka Speed.

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 7
I have the sprint GS2. I have heard the ATT GS2 too. 
Both of them have subpar sound quality.
It's really amazing how these guys put in such powerful hardware and skimp on the audio.
I thought the stock(unvoodoo-ed and powerampless) Galaxy S was bad too.
Not sure about the Tmobile GS2 audio, but it has significantly weaker hardware in all other areas.
My 2007 A-series walkman sounds way better than both the samsung phones.

The iphone sounds much better than GS2 IMO.

Hopefully the next android version would have USB audio and let us use USB DACs.
Otherwise, I'd have to give in to cyanogen mod sooner or later..

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
There is now a review on GSMArenaof the Samsung Galaxy R, it seems to have superior audio to the normal SGS2. However the R has a slightly smaller screen 0.1" and not AMOLED, the camera is 5MP instead of 8MP.

GSM arena measurements tell nothing about the performance with balanced armature iems which many people use over here.

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 7
What about Skyrocket ? It should be the same as HTC sensation. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 7
from the reviews it seems like the gsII is pretty poor audiowise, circuitry noise is apparently a big problem with these phones, probably due to lack of proper insulation/shielding. the galaxy nexus doesnt have this issue. a shame really, was looking at the gsII as my next phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back