Variable line-out on iMP-550?
Feb 13, 2004 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Trawlerman

A British ingredient in our rockin' international gumbo.
Why does the iRiver iMP-550 have a variable line out?

I was always under the impression that the Headphone out on PCDPs (and all other units) was variable and that the Line-Out was fixed for connection to amplifiers etc.

It's no biggie but it's a little puzzling as to why this should be. Perhaps I have a setting wrong somewhere on my machine?

I had a look in the iRiver forums but it's pretty bad over there to be honest with flame wars and crap forum software. We're definitely spoiled here at Head-Fi.

Feb 14, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 8
It's variable because the value of the output strentgh is variant on the digital information being fed to it.

The DSP preceeds the DAC so volume is controlled by the DSP attentuating the signal digitally first.

Feb 14, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Fish Tank X
It's variable because the value of the output strentgh is variant on the digital information being fed to it.

The DSP preceeds the DAC so volume is controlled by the DSP attentuating the signal digitally first.

Ok... but surely the volume control on the machine should not be able to alter the signal coming from the Line-Out?

Feb 14, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 8
That's an unnecessarily complicated way to say that the iMP-550 doesn't have a headphone out and a line out. It effectively has two headphone outs. That's why it's not great when amped. It has been mentioned several times on Head-Fi and it applies to all flagship iRiver PCDP's to date. The 'good' thing about this is that EQ can be applied to the amp input.

Feb 14, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Fish Tank X
You don't understand. The unit alters the digital volume level of the data stream flying into the dac. The data stream is altered, not the gain on the DAC.

Ah right.... I see now. It was late when I posted earlier and I probably didn't read your reply correctly.

Thanks for clearing that up.
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
That's an unnecessarily complicated way to say that the iMP-550 doesn't have a headphone out and a line out. It effectively has two headphone outs. That's why it's not great when amped. It has been mentioned several times on Head-Fi and it applies to all flagship iRiver PCDP's to date. The 'good' thing about this is that EQ can be applied to the amp input.

Having said that, it seems a little pointless building a line-out into the machine if they are gonna cripple it as such.

Feb 14, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 8
Well it works... and I suspect that the majority of use for the line out socket from a consumer point of view is for the optical output anyway. There's no line out signal path in the iMP's design so it's not been 'crippled' in any way but rather just lacks a true line out. Unhappy? Tape a D-EJ2000 to the 550's lid. Still more portable than the D-33
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back