Variable Bit Rate (VBR)???
Feb 28, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 8
Furthermore, if you set it to VBR 256 then it will encode up to 256 kb/s for complex passages, providing better sound quality closer to the original source. 192 VBR, then 192 is the highest etc.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #4 of 8
It only "Improves Quality" by giving a slightly higher bitrate for a complex part of a song and less bitrate for not-so complex parts (silence for instance).
I use it and think its better than cbr stuff. I just like the fact that if im listenin to 5 seconds of silence on a song i know its not using 192kbps for that silence.
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 8
so if you set it to 192 VBR,

-is 192 the average bit rate, (meaning that it drops below for simple passages like silence, and above for complex passages)

-or is 192 the max (meaning that it just drops down for simple passages, and stays at 192 for the complex ones)

if it is the first one, i'll set my ipod files for 192. but if it is the second, i might need to kick it up a notch
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
-or is 192 the max (meaning that it just drops down for simple passages, and stays at 192 for the complex ones)

More like this I believe. It will go to a maximum of 192, but average below that. The way I understand it is that it gives the overall sound quality of a 192 file, while taking up less space.

Of course, you can substitue any number for the ones above depending on chosen bit rate.

John

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 8
When you encode VBR, it usually makes you either specify both a minimum and maximum bitrate, or pick a "quality" setting, in where VBR 0 is the highest quality. Whenever I must rip into MP3 (iPod) I use LAME and rip into VBR 0.

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wipeout
When you encode VBR, it usually makes you either specify both a minimum and maximum bitrate, or pick a "quality" setting, in where VBR 0 is the highest quality. Whenever I must rip into MP3 (iPod) I use LAME and rip into VBR 0.

Ditto, I use Quality 0 and 192 min - 320 max. Sounds pretty dang good, doesn't take up to much room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back