Van Morrison - anyone see him on current tour?
Apr 6, 2004 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jpmac55

New Head-Fier
Greetings - has anyone seen Van on his current tour? I am going to the Boston show on Thursday and was wondering what I am in for. This will be a lifetime dream come true as I have collected 23 cd's over the years. Anyway, thanks for taking time to reply. - John

Apr 7, 2004 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 6
I saw him last Thursday in MNPLS.

It had all the potential to be a mind-bending show but I felt it was pretty flat and, according to some reviews of the show in the local papers, I'm not alone.

The Venue: Northrup Auditorium, UNiversity of Minnesota campus, 100+ year old building, seats <4800.

The Stage: Black, black backdrop, minimal lighting

The Band: 5 guys in black suits arranged in an arc, from left to right: Sax, Trumpet, Bass, Drums, Guitar, Keyboard. Van in the middle.

The Pre-Show: First a lame, shoe-gazing, guy-with-a-guitar-and-no-memorable-hooks comes out and sings five songs to a half-empty house. He said his name at the beginning of the set and at the end told us we could buy his CD at local stores. Pity I don't know his name - I'd hate to buy it by mistake.

The Show Proper: The band comes out, sans Van, and starts this swingin little vamp. It's a jazzy lounge-type sound that is carried throughout the entire show - no matter which song is played. They groove for a while, all taking solos (except the Guitarist who was the victim of an unplugged cord that wasn't fixed until the middle of the third song) then Van strolls out in a gray suit, hat and sunglasses. He takes a sax solo and the song morphs into "Have I Told You Lately" in the same swing beat. This is pretty much the formula for the next 60 minutes. He played a few things from the latest album (which is good) and songs from other recent albums. Some of the old songs didn't quite work with the swing tempo - notably "Into The Mystic" and "Cleaning Windows" (which you would think would work well played that way but it didn't). While the obligatory sax solos were going he'd turn his back to the audience, drink from a cup that was constantly being replenished by roadies, and shuffle through a stack of papers which I think were sheet music as both horn players had sheet music in front of them as well. Only twice did he step out vocally and do some of that Van-Stuttering-Talk-Singing thing. His voice was excellent by the way, I felt it the most powerful instrument on stage.
The last 20 minutes or so was a brief, souless run-through of all the favorites ("Brown-Eyed Girl", "Gloria", etc..). After the sax solo in "Gloria" he pointed at the horn section and told us their names and walked off the stage taking his mic with him. The band wrapped up the song and left the stage with their instruments.

AND THEN THE HOUSE LIGHTS WENT UP!!

NO ENCORE!!

This after a night of turning his back on us, not talking to us, not even introducing his band. The mood of the audience was one of confusion mixed with disbelief. It was eery walking out of there that night.

a word about The Production: Ametureish. Beside the gaff with the guitarist's cord, there were several miscues at the sound board that caused loss of sound at the beginning of a solo or extreme volume that was quickly turned down. Very poor performance considering this was the third night of a three-night run that started in Chicago two nights before. The lighting guy must've been smoking out of the same pipe as the sound guy as he briefly stage into total darkness in the middle of one song - during a Van sax solo no less!

I'm not nearly as big a Van fan as my wife and her family so I didn't have as high of expectations for the show - I just wanted to see him. The rest in my party were either pissed off totally ($100 seats) or blissfully satisfied.

The Moral: Go in with low expectations and you won't be disappointed.

ok,
erix

Apr 9, 2004 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 6
Well?

Did Ye Git Healed?

ok,
erix

Apr 9, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 6
Touche! Yea, I got healed! For those not familar with Van, it is a song/line in a song of his.

Your assessment was pretty close to the Boston show but overall, I was satisfied albeit wished he played all night. No snafu's to speak of. The opening song you referred to was "inarticulate Speech of The Heart Pt 1" which is the title track to one of his albums. It also happens to be one of my favorites. Part 1 is an instrumental whereas Part 2 has vocals.

Although it would appear that Van lacks stage manners, I think it speaks to the artistic genious he is. He never would be considered mainstream and never really cared much for fanfare or critical acclaim. He just likes writing and playing his music. I am one of many fans that accept his quirks and long forward to each and every album he releases.

Erix - Thank you for taking time to reply. I appeciated knowing what to expect and like you suggested - I had low expectations and wasn't disappointed. - John

Apr 9, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 6
Touche! Yea, I got healed! For those not familar with Van, it is a song/line in a song of his.

Your assessment was pretty close to the Boston show but overall, I was satisfied albeit wished he played all night. No snafu's to speak of. The opening song you referred to is titled "Inarticulate Speech of The Heart, Pt 1" which is the title track to one of his albums. It also happens to be one of my favorite songs. Part 1 is an instrumental whereas Part 2 has vocals.

Although it would appear that Van lacks stage manners, I think it speaks to the artistic genious he is. He never would consider himself mainstream and never really cared much for fanfare or critical acclaim. He just likes writing and playing his music. I am one of many fans that accept his quirks and look forward to each and every album he releases.

Erix - Thank you for taking time to reply. I appeciated knowing what to expect and like you suggested - I had low expectations and wasn't disappointed. - John

Apr 10, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 6
Glad you guys had the opportunity to see Van live. I've only been able to once, but have been a huge fan of his since his days with Them (by the way, the double CD greatest hits is pretty wonderful for his early work). My favorite studio album remains Astral Weeks and my favorite live album is It's Too Late to Stop Now.

As to his onstage persona, Van is extremely introspective. I agree with jpmac55 that Van is true unto himself and his artistic aspirations and vision. It's not that he doesn't care about the audience liking his music, it's that he won't lower himself to being artificial to achieve that end.

If he was after fame, I guess he could audition for American Idol. Much as I enjoy that show, it's a shame that all of the finalists are probably better known than Van.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back