Vampire silver cable vs Silver?
Dec 4, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 5
If you are just looking for a small connection for a portable rig like ipod->amp you will not notice a different between the two. For longer applications...probably not, I don't buy into the wire hype. Go for the cheapest one with good build quality.

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devolve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are just looking for a small connection for a portable rig like ipod->amp you will not notice a different between the two. For longer applications...probably not, I don't buy into the wire hype. Go for the cheapest one with good build quality.

I couldn't disagree more, ever heard the term "you get what you pay for", it would totally applie here. You will notice differences in sound signature with any and every cable out there, some may be very small, while others may be great. Higher priced cables use superior quality materials and components, not cutting corners or comprimising on any area of the production process. The difference in price between the Silver LOD & the Vampire Silver LOD from Whiplash, is because the Vampire Silver LOD uses a brand name wire from Vampire Audio who makes high-quality audio interconnects. So if you are a fan of their sound sig, and have used their products in your home rig, you will have a good idea how it will sound. Everything on the Whiplash Audio site you have been looking at will be good choices for your setup, I have my eyes on the Quables Silver-Cab Pro. I think it's one of the best deals around.
Good Luck & Happy Holidays!
Headphile808.

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Interesting, I must not have the ears for it then. I make all my my LODs and ICs for myself and friends. The first LOD i made was for myself and was very simple, just 3 strands of teflon-coated silver from qables. It sounded great so i decided to give that one for a friend and build a "crazy" one for myself, which was 2 strands of thicker cryo'd silver per channel and 3 strands of pure copper for ground, it ran me me double the amount of cash to make and there was no difference between the two in my ears, except for the loss in flexibility.
I shouldn't have been so vague when I mentioned that i didn't believe in the wire hype, I meant in terms for short 6" or less LODs, but anything over that I'm sure there is a difference. Good luck finding one that fits your needs.

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 5
Does Whiplash have a money back gaurantee/trial? If so, maybe you can buy both and see which one fits your needs better
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back