Vamp verza or Fostex HP-P1
Sep 9, 2013 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sahil1977

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am new to the forum....but have been reading the site for last 3 months.
I have 4 headphones.

1.Sennheiser Momentum
2.V Moda M100
3.Beyer Dynamic DT 990.
4.Shure SE535

My current source is iPhone 5.

I also have Fiio e17 and HRT micro streamer.

I am still looking for a sound that is crystal clear airy and gives a good sound stage with good amount of bass but not overwhelming.

I want a good Dac/amp for portable use which will take my listening experience to the next level.

I have narrowed down on the 2 choices.....

Vamp verza with metallo case or the Fostex HP

I am already overshooting my budget.....and know from recent discussion that theorem 720 and centrance hifi m8 are the top of the line models.
Though want to take it easy at the moment and may think about the other 2 devices later.

Your help and experience will greatly be appreciated.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 14
Third option: get the VentureCraft SounDroid Typhoon for $523 plus their new MM5 case for $100.  The VC SDT OpAmp is interchangeable, so if you don't like the sound of the stock LME49860, then you can try the OPA627, Muses01, or the Muses02 instead.  Power wise it will be quite a bit less than your E17, so I don't think it will drives your DT990 well, but the SDT up convert iPod, plays DSD, and has optical in and out.

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #3 of 14
Drsheep,

Thanks for a prompt response.

Yes I checked on the venture craft SDT......unfortunately I could not find them on amazon or my local ebay.I stay in India.
Any ideas on the availability on other sites.In case not which of above 2 Dac/amp you suggest.

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 14
Drsheep,

Thanks for a prompt response.

Yes I checked on the venture craft SDT......unfortunately I could not find them on amazon or my local ebay.I stay in India.
Any ideas on the availability on other sites.In case not which of above 2 Dac/amp you suggest.

Go read my post on the SDT trend on how to order via Rakuten.  I also have the VERZA but it is a bit over priced and over budget, plus the Metallo case isn't too good for signals.

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 14
Furutech ADL X1 is worth considering.

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 14
Furutech ADL X1 is worth considering.

Yes, but for the iPhone 5 DAC/AMP with a case combo, the VERZA+Metallo or the VentureCraft+MM5 are your only two choices now.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks all.....I guess I got my answer.
I will find out about the availability of venturcraft with MM5 case.

Yes I also heard about the metallo case 2 bars go off....and boy again price is steep.

Thanks again Drsheep...for the advice.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #8 of 14
Thanks all.....I guess I got my answer.
I will find out about the availability of venturcraft with MM5 case.

Yes I also heard about the metallo case 2 bars go off....and boy again price is steep.

Thanks again Drsheep...for the advice.

Let me know if you need help ordering.  I also posted a review on my MM5 case that you can check out.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 14
Hi again,

Yes saw the review.....of mm5 case.Looks like it will get the job done.Less flamboyant than the verza but as long as the signals gone its good.

DrSheep can you provide the link for ordering soundroid.

Thanks man....

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #10 of 14
From Rakuten:
VC SDT: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/japanshop/item/gx2-a1/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en
MM5 case: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/japanshop/item/bb5/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en (make sure you get yourself a Torx 6 screw driver)

From VC English site:
VC SDT: http://venturecraft.jp/gadget_en/buy_paypal.php

Note, the Japanshop in Rakuten is actually VC's own shop, so the order you place in Rakuten or VC own site goes to VC themselves.  Shipping is about 2500 yen or $25 USD via Japan EMS post.  If you need a cheap Lightning to USB cable, just get one from V-MODA of their Tuono cable. ($25)

p.s. unlike the Metallo case, the MM5 case is attached to the DAC/AMP, so your iPhone has to be naked to use it.  Or you just don't screw it on and use tape instead.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 14
Awesome DrSheep......

I will go through it and hopefully will have no trouble placing the order.

This is great.....

Should not be, as I used it multiple times with no problems.  It might give you a warning about shipping to Japan only or require forwarding services, but that's not true and you can just ignore it.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 14
Yes....I just had some clarifications.....regarding custom duty in India as those are absurd.Wanted to know if they can collect from me upfront as there are lot of issues with Indian custom clearance.
Btw the case is out of stock.....
I am definitely for it.....looks like has a much powerful battery than verza (3500 vs 2200 amph) though the unit itself is less powerful(80 vs 130 mw)
Though I think it should not be a problem.....my Dt 990 are 250 ohms......others headphones and iem are all are less than 32 ohms.

Thanks man....

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #14 of 14
Yes....I just had some clarifications.....regarding custom duty in India as those are absurd.Wanted to know if they can collect from me upfront as there are lot of issues with Indian custom clearance.
Btw the case is out of stock.....
I am definitely for it.....looks like has a much powerful battery than verza (3500 vs 2200 amph) though the unit itself is less powerful(80 vs 130 mw)
Though I think it should not be a problem.....my Dt 990 are 250 ohms......others headphones and iem are all are less than 32 ohms.

Thanks man....

That you have to email VC as I have no idea.  But since Rakuten is global, that should know what to do, and you can email them first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back