Valves (tubes) for x-can
Jan 25, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Tube_Pete
I forgot two things.

1) This natural X-feed you have started to build pinkie, would it be possible to buy one from you later if it works well? If you have a bank account I could transfer money to your account and you send it via mail to me. I would appreciate it very much! I don't have the guts trying to do it myself, since my soldering skills are non-zero!

Hi Pete,

I've finished the X-Feed and you can read about it at http://freespace.virgin.net/borders.break/x-feed.htm I'll e-mail you shortly.

email address: peake15@hotmail.com

2) I will probably have a friend replace the caps on the mother board with Elna Starget. I got a bit confused looking at your homepage. It seems you haven't changed the two caps close to the headphone output. If I remember correctly they were Jamicon NP caps (two 220 uF, 6.3 V). At least I think they are electrolytic capacitors. Any reason why you didn't change these?

Yes, I didn't replace the 2 non polar caps because I couldn't source any ELNA non polar caps of the same values. I've managed to obtain a couple of Black gates and will solder them in shortly!

Creds to Nick Dangerous, and pinkie for the valuable info!

Cheers!

Pinkie

Feb 2, 2003 at 4:29 PM Post #17 of 21
Ok, I have now done careful comparison between a pair of matched JAN/Philips(stock valves), JJ Electronic and a pair of Mullards which I received from Sean at highendaudio on Wednesday. First off, I have to say I don't agree with all the negative attention the stock JAN/Philips valves have got. They do sound really bright at first. But after letting them burn in for a good amount of time, they get better. The guy that sold me the x-can told me it would take about 30 hours to burn them in completely. Which is not true at all. It took about 2 weeks or more for mine to start sounding good. They still are a bit too bright for my taste though.

Now moving on to the Mullards. The first thing I noticed was the incredible detail these valves produced. I heard sounds in the music I've never noticed before. A nice experience.. Knowing almost every last detail of some songs you have heard so often, and then suddenly you start to notice new sounds and more depth (I had a big grin on my face the whole time
biggrin.gif
).

My first impression of the Mullard valves were, just a little bit too bright. Not as the JAN/Philips, but still just a little bit too bright for my taste. And the bass wasn't as "deep" as I wanted.. But this would all change, ppl who say that valves don't need proper "burn-in-time" don't know what a dramatic change some valves go trough. The Mullards went from being a pretty good sounding valve to a incredible sounding valve!!! I've never heard anything sound so good in my whole life (I'm sure there are more expensive stuff that sounds better.. But this is the best sounding equipment I've ever heard in my life time). Finally! A comfortable sound, after letting the Mullard valves burn in for about 5 days.

It's weird, after listening to the stock JAN/Philips valves for weeks, You start to memorize where the music gets uncomfortable.. And some times with the Mullards you sort of prepare yourself for a sharp "bright" sound.. But instead you get a nicely controlled, smooth, very detailed sound. I love it!

Even at lower volumes, you hear incredible detail and also the bass is nice and tight... This is a bit of a problem with the JAN/Philips valves.To get the nice detailed and bass filled sound, you need to turn the volume up to higher levels. And because of the "brightness" which some times drives in like a spear to your brain (at higher volumes).. Listening will some times have to be cut short. This is even a bigger problem with the JJ Electronic valves.. Since they produce the least detail and bass of all the three different valves. I found myself turning up the volume knob way too high, just to hear the detail and bass I wanted. I ended up having a strange "ringing" noise in my head after a couple of hours of listening
frown.gif
. Reminded me of my early teenage years when I listen to heavy metal music at very high volumes through cheap stereo equipment
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2003 at 7:33 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by zool
Ok, I have now done careful comparison between a pair of matched JAN/Philips(stock valves), JJ Electronic and a pair of Mullards which I received from Sean at highendaudio on Wednesday. First off, I have to say I don't agree with all the negative attention the stock JAN/Philips valves have got. They do sound really bright at first. But after letting them burn in for a good amount of time, they get better. The guy that sold me the x-can told me it would take about 30 hours to burn them in completely. Which is not true at all. It took about 2 weeks or more for mine to start sounding good. They still are a bit too bright for my taste though.

Now moving on to the Mullards. The first thing I noticed was the incredible detail these valves produced. I heard sounds in the music I've never noticed before. A nice experience.. Knowing almost every last detail of some songs you have heard so often, and then suddenly you start to notice new sounds and more depth (I had a big grin on my face the whole time
biggrin.gif
).

My first impression of the Mullard valves were, just a little bit too bright. Not as the JAN/Philips, but still just a little bit too bright for my taste. And the bass wasn't as "deep" as I wanted.. But this would all change, ppl who say that valves don't need proper "burn-in-time" don't know what a dramatic change some valves go trough. The Mullards went from being a pretty good sounding valve to a incredible sounding valve!!! I've never heard anything sound so good in my whole life (I'm sure there are more expensive stuff that sounds better.. But this is the best sounding equipment I've ever heard in my life time). Finally! A comfortable sound, after letting the Mullard valves burn in for about 5 days.

It's weird, after listening to the stock JAN/Philips valves for weeks, You start to memorize where the music gets uncomfortable.. And some times with the Mullards you sort of prepare yourself for a sharp "bright" sound.. But instead you get a nicely controlled, smooth, very detailed sound. I love it!

Even at lower volumes, you hear incredible detail and also the bass is nice and tight... This is a bit of a problem with the JAN/Philips valves.To get the nice detailed and bass filled sound, you need to turn the volume up to higher levels. And because of the "brightness" which some times drives in like a spear to your brain (at higher volumes).. Listening will some times have to be cut short. This is even a bigger problem with the JJ Electronic valves.. Since they produce the least detail and bass of all the three different valves. I found myself turning up the volume knob way too high, just to hear the detail and bass I wanted. I ended up having a strange "ringing" noise in my head after a couple of hours of listening
frown.gif
. Reminded me of my early teenage years when I listen to heavy metal music at very high volumes through cheap stereo equipment
wink.gif

Glad you like the Mullards Zool! Mine took about 4 weeks or so before they sounded "really" good so you may yet be in for further surprises on the sound quality front.

Pinkie http://freespace.virgin.net/rock.grotto/index2.htm

Feb 3, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #19 of 21
I mailed you a question about X-feed pinkie, but didn't get an answer..

Where do you connect your X-feed.. between cd-player and X-can? In that case I guess you would need two analog signal cables as well. I would preferably connect X-feed using only a single signal cable, is that possible? I currently use a Tara Labs Air 3 signal cable between cd player and amp which runs at about 500 Euros new, which is pretty steep if I would have to buy another one (got mine second hand)!

Couldn't you have male RCA plugs in one end of X-feed and female RCA plugs in the other. Then you would only need one signal cable for connection.

Mar 22, 2003 at 4:29 AM Post #20 of 21
I TRIED THE JJ VALVES AND I FOUND THEM BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL ONES, THE MUSIC WAS MORE OPEN WITH GREAT SEPARATION AND DEFINITION, BUT IT’S STILL TOO BRIGHT, SOME TIMES PAINFUL FOR ME. I'VE CHANGED THE JJ FOR THE E88CC TUNGSRAM VALVES AND THERE WAS A VERY NICE CHANGE: THE SOUND IS STILL OPEN, CLEAR AND AIRY BUT THE BASS WAS 100 % BETTER AND THE HIGHS WERE VERY NICE (NO MORE SUCH DRILLING IN MY EARS), MAYBE THE MIDS WEREN'T AS SEDUCTIVE AS OTHER VALVES, BUT FOR MY TASTE IT'S OK.

Mar 22, 2003 at 10:38 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by zool
I've replaced the stock valves in my x-can v2 with JJ Electronic ones. Only listen to them for like 4h, so their not fully burnt in yet. Even so I find them to be a great improvement. But not everyone agrees that a pair of E88CC JJ Electronic is the right valves for x-can. I've read some reviews and found that ppl tend to have very different opinions on what sounds good and not. The Mullard valves seems to be really popular, only problem is that I can't find a singel matched pair anywhere.. I've been told that Mullard valves are not made anymore and only a limited supply is available from older batch (anyone know if this is true or not?). Anyway I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this. I know that the JJ valves are favored by many and so are Sovtek. Some like JJ Electronic, some like Sovtek. I've heard that Mullard is supose to be the best for x-can amps though
frown.gif

Two reviews with very different opinions:

http://www.nickdangerous.com/misc/xcans/
http://freespace.virgin.net/rock.grotto/valvetest.htm

P.S. Anyone know the exact difference between x-cans and x-can v2? They sure do look the same (except one is labeled x-cans and the other x-can v2
tongue.gif
). No doubt they probably made some minor improvements to v2..

You can get a very closely matched pair of Mullard E88CC's from Sean Redshaw at Highendaudio.co.uk. They are NOS (new old stock) and he charges £30 for the pair. He can be contacted at sean@highendaudio.co.uk

Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back