Valve (tube) testers
Jun 1, 2017 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

KT66

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi interested if anyone else needs to test their valves occasionally. I have tried in vain to find anyone in SE England who can do this.
"Proper" testers start about £3k from what I can see.

So I have arriving tomorrow an Orange VT1000 tester. It's a toy compared to the real thing and the vintage snobs laugh at it but it'll do the job I need. I use valves in HIFI and guitar amps, and of course I have multiples of both!

Anyone else used one?

What do you do to get your m&s tested or do you not bother

Thanks

Jun 1, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi interested if anyone else needs to test their valves occasionally. I have tried in vain to find anyone in SE England who can do this.
"Proper" testers start about £3k from what I can see.

So I have arriving tomorrow an Orange VT1000 tester. It's a toy compared to the real thing and the vintage snobs laugh at it but it'll do the job I need. I use valves in HIFI and guitar amps, and of course I have multiples of both!

Anyone else used one?

What do you do to get your m&s tested or do you not bother

Thanks

I use my AVO VCM163 tester.

The Orange VT1000 looks useful though.

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 3
I have and regularly use this one : https://www.radioelec.com/en/-xml-354_440-1508.html

you must know what to do, it's not for beginners, you will need an adapter to test triode like 300B (given with the tester, but you need to ask for it), you can test also diode/rectifier but you need an external supply (really simple), but it is very precise, it's digital so you don't need frequent calibration, and it is so flexible that you can basically test anything if you know the specifics. and of course, the main point here is that it is really cheap :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back