Valve Amp to Match with Grados
Apr 28, 2008 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

indysmith

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a reasonably priced (preferably less than £200) Valve (tube) headphone amplifier that'll work well with my Duet and my Grado SR325i's and SR80's.
I'd like something very 'real' sounding, with loads of detail. Pretty much want it to sound natural. If it could be used as a preamp for powered speakers that would be cool too.
Thanks

Apr 28, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 9
I have the little dot MKIV paired with my Grados. It's cheap, fits your budget, and can be used as a preamp.

Apr 28, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 9
Sounds spot on - are there any strong tonal characteristics? Also - where do you buy little dot gear from? I can't find anywhere but eBay and they're only selling the MKII and MKII+

Any other options in the price range?

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 9
Take a look at the Little Dot forum. Little Dot amps are made in China, but also appear regularly on Ebay. Just keep looking. Or then you can also buy the directly from China, the instructions are on the forums.

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 9
In the under $750 US Dollars I would say that the Mapletree Ear + Purist HD is the one to get. With a budget at or below $400 US Dollars and you being in the UK I would suggest an used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 and inplement the PinkFloyd Mods maybe even one of his Little Pinkies PSUs. You would be under the mark if you perform the mods. Good luck.

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by manofmathematics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a pretty decent thread about the Cayin HA-1A floating around here somewhere. I'd take a look at it.

Except I wouldn't remotely recommend the Cayin HA-1A for a Grado. I owned the Cayin simultaneously with an SR60, SR80, SR225, SR325i, and RS1 at different times, and also heard it with the GS1000. There is too much low-level noise on the amp for it to be used satisfactorily with sensitive low-impedance headphones, with the stock tubes.

No offense but it doesn't help anyone to perpetuate the idea that the Cayin HA-1A is an amp for Grados. It's more an amp for AKG and Sennheiser headphones, and some Beyerdynamic models like the DT880 (and very efficient speakers too).

Among the lower-cost tube amps, Mapletree is hard to go wrong with. The Eddie Current Lunch Box may also be a good option though I have no experience with it. Its designer does use the RS1 as a design basis.

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #9 of 9
Try to find a Melos SHA-1 or a
SHA-Gold if you can swing it budget wise.

Perhaps one of the best Grado amps ever (modify it to make it arguably THE best Gradp amp ever) and it is a really, really good preamp as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back