Value Stereo Amplifier (Not SI T-Amp)
Jun 6, 2006 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cmirza

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good value reciever besides the sonic impact t-amp and super t-amp. I'm not adverse to Class-T amplifiers, its just I'd like something solid and substantial that will last a while. This amp will be paired with a pair of bookshelf speakers (I'm currently considering Polk RTi6 or Klipsch Synergy III). So can anyone suggest a few good value stereo amplifiers at around $250?

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 11
Vintage Marantz

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 11
Brand new for $250, not that I know of. Maybe a used NAD from Audiogon?

Jun 7, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 11
If you can wait a little longer (not sure EXACTLY how long), www.av123.com will be coming out with their X-series electronics. A 50+ wpc mini integrated amp for $99 was originally planned.

From what I've read on forums, it may go up in wattage and up slightly in price, but should still be a fantastic bargain.

Of course, they are notorious "late bloomers" and these X products were supposedly starting to come in Dec 05/Jan 06!!! So if you can't wait, yes look at A'gon. NAD could be a solid bet....

Jun 7, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 11
Ok, its looking like a used Marantz or NAD now. Anyone have some comments of the sound signature of Marantz and NAD? I'm most curious on wheter they are more agressive or laid back and what speakers pair well with them.

Jun 10, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 11
NAD tends to add bass to the sound. Depending on what speakers you have this could be a bad or a good thing.

I recently heard a full fledged NAD system (NAD Preamp, NAD Monoblocks, NAD DVD player) powering PSB's Image T45's over at my uncles house. And the NAD system really brings out the bass and clarity of the speakers, more so than his Yamaha 5.1 Surround Sound Receiver which he had sworn by for a few years now. I used to think those T45's had a more accuracy orriented sound rather than warmth. Now with the NAD system, it proves that you could have the best of both worlds.

If you can get perhaps a NAD C320BEE Integrated Amp use from Audiogon, you should be most definetly impressed (with the speaker out and the headphone out). It's currently one of the best budget modern amplifiers (and the most recommended).

Jun 10, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 11
Ok, I've managed to inherit a pair of Polk RT55i's from my father. They seem like they will pair well with a NAD C320BEE. They're very efficent speakers (92db) and they sound pretty good out of an old Onkyo HT reciever. Now to find a used C320BEE...

Jun 11, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 11
A Nad C320BEE would be an excellent choice! I have one that will go to Audiogon shortly. Very nice headphone out, also. I replaced it with a Nuforce IA-7 integrated. That's a story for another time! Rotel and Cambridge Audio are good choices, also. All used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back