Value of resistor on a fan to quiet it down?
Sep 16, 2004 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ooheadsoo

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys. I have a fan inside my receiver blowing on the power supply (I think) that is just a bit too loud for my tastes. I was thinking of either buying a more quiet fan or to just put a resistor in series. However, I have no idea what value to use for the resistor. I've tried disconnecting the fan and the amp's autoprotection cuts in once I bump the volume. Any tips are appreciated.

Sep 16, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 21
i would recommend you make a simple LM317 voltage regulator for it, would work much better than a resistor

Sep 16, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 21
Sure that sounds neat, but there's not much room in the case. I suppose it could be done...Any diagrams?
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Sure that sounds neat, but there's not much room in the case. I suppose it could be done...Any diagrams?
tongue.gif

Well I don't have a diagram but off the top of my head you could probably use a RatShack PC board. Get yourself a molex connector to either mount to the board or split out the wires to hook it up. It should be fairly compact and you could probably come up with a way to mount it to the back of the fan.

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 21
you shouldn't use a resistor, since fans use more juice than typical resistors. you're better off getting a reostat or a pwm voltage controller. if you have an AC fan, you can just use a light dimmer.

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 21
I'm pretty sure it's a dc fan. You guys sure a resistor wouldn't cut it? A resistor - I can handle that. The rest, well, I'm gonna need a bit of info :\

Sep 16, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 21
look up the datasheet for the LM317, the diagram is in there, trust me its easy as pie, its one TO-220 IC (heatsink it!) two caps and a pot... think there may be a resistor, but either way its dead simple to make a basic LM317 voltage regulator, you can make it from parts @ radioshack even

Sep 16, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 21
2 caps, 1 resistor and a pot, or once you find the voltage you want, it's 2 caps and 2 resistors. The entire dealie built can take up less space than the heatsink you'll bolt to the TO-220.

OT: Flecom, mod at the [H]?

Sep 16, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 21
yep that would be me
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
yep that would be me
smily_headphones1.gif

Heh, thought so, but the name looks weird to me when it's not all in caps....
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #11 of 21
this forum apparantly dosent let you have all caps usernames
frown.gif

i registered as FLECOM but it shows up as flecom, meh
blink.gif

Sep 16, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 21
You can buy a higher wattage resistor. You'll need to know the current the fan nominally draws, and then your desired voltage drop. Then use

R=V/I where V is the voltage drop, I is the nominal current

Then calculate the power rating:

P=I^2 * R

easy! You can use the LM317 way, but it will use a bit more space.

For PWM, there is a guide over at Bit-Tech using the Micrel MIC502

g

Sep 16, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 21
this is funny, i am trying to do the exact same thing now too, only i added the fan myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Will the LM317 work with an AC fan? 115VAC

edit: damn, nope it wont

Sep 16, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 21
This may sound stupid but why not either replace the fan with a quieter fan or take the existing fan to bits and grease the bearings?

There's no point in slowing the rpm of the fan as it's there for a purpose..... to dissipate heat, if it's noisy then address the issue with a new fan / noise dampening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back