Value Judgment
Aug 1, 2003 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Spad

Headphoneus Supremus
Would you give up half of what you now own for a pill that would permanently change you so that one hour of sleep each day would fully refresh you?

Aug 1, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 27
YEP! Count me in. Owning stuff is easily replaced. Time spent sleeping can never be recouped.

Aug 1, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 27
i'd like a senzu bean from dragonball z....

Aug 1, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by xtreme4099
i'd like a senzu bean from dragonball z....

biggrin.gif
I'd like a lifetime supply of those

Aug 1, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 27
Pretty much everyone said yes, but I could see someone saying no if they were very wealthy and didn't have much time left.

It's an interesting question, because while most people will answer yes, the truth is that some actually HAVE that option to a meaningful degree. Depending upon what you do or plan to do for a living, you can trade off your material wealth for lower working hours that translate to more quality time.

I think I'm now in the mood to reread "Your Money or Your Life." Good thread.

Aug 1, 2003 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
Pretty much everyone said yes, but I could see someone saying no if they were very wealthy and didn't have much time left.

Bingo, Zowie!

In my case, I wouldn't give up even ten percent of what I own. But I only sleep an average of five hours per night anyway, would have to forfeit substantial holdings (at the expense of my wife's post-Spad future), and expect to live only a few years at best.

Even our simplest, seemingly obvious decisions come wrapped in the enigma of who we really are.

Aug 1, 2003 at 7:54 PM Post #14 of 27
What would you do with the extra time? Watch more TV? Work more hours? (Probably for the same pay, or more likely 1/2 pay - you don't think your employer is actually going to pay you double, do you?).

I love sleep. I wouldn't want to give it up.

Don't worry about it - as you get older you will not be able to sleep as much anyway.

How many hours do babies & cats sleep a day?

So, after it gets into our DNA the baby will be crying an extra 11 hours a day? No thanks.

Aug 1, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #15 of 27
OT, but if one person sleeps five hours and another eight hours per night, over a fifty year span the difference is more than 54,000 hours.

Expressed another way, if you sleep eight hours per day, and I sleep five, you obviously have 16 hours of useful consciousness per day while I have 19. This means that in a single week I gain more than one of your 16 hour days. Translated into books reads, movies viewed, music heard, etc., this becomes a very life-enriching difference.

I've always considered myself extremely fortunate to require so little sleep. It has been a distinct advantage in everything I've ever undertaken. There are no negative aspects to requiring less sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back