Value Judgment 5
Aug 3, 2003 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Spad

Headphoneus Supremus
If you could pass your whole life cared for in every way as you slumbered peacefully, entranced by wonderful dreams, would you do so?

Aug 3, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by mclaren20
no, im fat and lazy enough already.

sadly enough, my life is the same way. I need to take charge of my own life.
redface.gif

Aug 3, 2003 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 11
But if your life was spent dreaming why should it matter that you're fat and lazy? What more would you need? Everything? Nothing?

Pascal said, "If a laborer were to dream for twelve hours every night that he was a king, I believe he would be almost as happy as a king who should dream for twelve hours every night that he was a laborer."

That's a little too glib for me, but it's an interesting thought.

Aug 3, 2003 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 11
If you are talking about living in a utopian dreamland, then I would give anything to do that. But who wouldn't want to, anyway. If your whole life was a dream, then it would be no different than reality.

Aug 3, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by MusicLover
If you are talking about living in a utopian dreamland, then I would give anything to do that. But who wouldn't want to, anyway. If your whole life was a dream, then it would be no different than reality.

Exactly, MusicLover. The idea reminds me of Poe's lines:

All that we see or Seem
Is but a dream within a dream

Aug 3, 2003 at 7:31 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Spad
Exactly, MusicLover. The idea reminds me of Poe's lines:

All that we see or Seem
Is but a dream within a dream

After many years of this life, we'll wake up with a start in a completely foreign (yet strangely familiar) bed, with a flashbulb fear of the way we died and only a faint and quickly fading memory of the the life we lived.

An interesting proposition, one that often gets discussed on 'drunk nite' at Purdue
wink.gif

-dd3mon

Aug 3, 2003 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
After many years of this life, we'll wake up with a start in a completely foreign (yet strangely familiar) bed, with a flashbulb fear of the way we died and only a faint and quickly fading memory of the the life we lived.

An interesting proposition, one that often gets discussed on 'drunk nite' at Purdue
wink.gif

-dd3mon

That's encouraging, dd3mon. In my day Poe would have been a very unlikely topic on 'drunk nite.'
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2003 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Spad
If you could pass your whole life cared for in every way as you slumbered peacefully, entranced by wonderful dreams, would you do so?

Absolutely not. It is neither utopian or natural for humans to be completely cared for or to live in dreams. Working for survival and contributing to the community is intergal to the human experience thus far.

Aug 4, 2003 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 11
Nope. Wouldn't do it.

Kinda reminds me of the movie Highlander:Endgame where all the immortals are shacking up in some castle warehouse in "suspended" animation with like VR goggles on their head. So I guess they couldn't really feel it when their heads were lopped off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back