Value for Money Headphones With Portability (portable amp?)
Sep 26, 2013 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Word Of Madness

New Head-Fier
Hi. I'm looking for a nice set of headphones. I'm primarily into post-rock and metal music, and like my bass strong but not over the top, and usually the treble a little above average too, but not as high as the bass. The headphones would also need to be suitable for gaming, if it was one way or the other, I'd favour the better music headphone. As well as at my desk, I'll also be hoping to use these on the go with my cellphone, so something that can be driven by that would be great. I could also pick up a good low cost portable amp, and would also appreciate suggestions on these. However, that adds some more cost, so it may need to be paired with cheaper headphones.

I haven't had much experience with different headphones, and almost none with anything over $100. My current gaming headset, a Corsair Vengeance 1500, seems all right, but I'd like better. I do find them pretty comfortable though. The earpieces seem a nice size, and have nice soft foam pads with a felt-like material which I prefer over the leather-like ones. The clamp just tight enough not to come off my head with normal movement (although they'll slip if I shake violently) I wouldn't want anything much looser or tighter than these. I also have some Sennheiser HD202s that I use on the go. I like their lightweight construction and small size, but like the Corsair headset, I think the sound quality could be better. In the past I've had a Plantronics on-ear headset which I can't remember the model of, but that was pretty reasonable for what it cost, as were my AKG earbuds.

I'm after a circum-aural set. But I'd consider if a supra-aural set if the price and quality are better there. The large size of circum-aurals doesn't really concern me as far as portability goes, I've usually got a bag or something to put them in, it's more about attaining high quality sound without the need for an amp. But if an getting a portable amp would lead to a better experience, then I'd be open to that too. I'm not really sure what the best way to go is. That's why I'm here asking.

Some level of noise isolation would be good for when I'm out and about.

I'm not really too set on budget. It's more about getting good value for money. If spending $10 extra gets me a far nicer set of headphones, then I'll go for those. I'm in New Zealand, so the choice can get a little limited. This link will cover most of the stuff I can get locally (http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=148). There are filters to help you find what you're after. I'm not opposed to going second hand, and I can get something like HD598s for around $280NZ used, which is probably my complete maximum, I'd rather be closer to $150. I'm also able to get some items from Amazon or Ebay at a reasonable price, so anything from there I'd consider too. I'm also not a huge audiophile (at this stage, anyway), so I assume a decent set of $100-200 headphones should sound pretty great to my ears.

TL;DR - I'm interested in headphones that don't need an amp, or can be powered by a portable amp (and suggestions on a portable amp). Budget isn't fixed. Probably around $275NZ max, closer to or under $150 ideal. Used for heavy music and gaming.

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 4
Sony MDR-1R is $200 and does not need an amp. I really like the way that it sounds. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back