Valhalla 2 -> ??
Mar 14, 2017 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

OG10

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, 

I have been running the Valhalla 2 on my HD800s for some time now. 
I now have a bigger budget so was wondering what your suggestions would be for this?

I have a budget of £1500 for it. I would like a similar signature to what I have with the V2, but was wondering whether Senns on HDVD800 is worth a punt?
It has to be located in the UK or EU.. I don't like paying customs :p

Any suggestions welcome :)

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 19

I have been running the Valhalla 2 on my HD800s for some time now. 
I now have a bigger budget so was wondering what your suggestions would be for this?

I have a budget of £1500 for it. I would like a similar signature to what I have with the V2, but was wondering whether Senns on HDVD800 is worth a punt?

I'd just keep the Valhalla2 since 1) specs-wise it's pouring in all the power the HD800 will need and at low THD and noise (if at least for an OTL amp) and 2) you like it anyway.

That said, the Valhalla2 actually spits out more than the necessary power at 300ohms and 600ohms (for the T1), but still has relatively high output impedance and much lower output power at 32ohms to 120ohms, so if you're looking into getting a low impedance headphone, low sensitivity headphone in the future, then that's a good reason to get something else.

It has to be located in the UK or EU.. I don't like paying customs :p

Taking into consideration low impedance, low(er) sensitivity headphones, if you plan on getting any such headphone, then that's when you upgrade. If and when you do, look into the Meier Corda Classic FF (and DACcord FF if you need a DAC with it), or Violectrics (which also have optional DAC modules).

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 19
Get Mjolnir 2 and call it a day

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #5 of 19
  Hmm Mjolnir 2 isn't in Stock. 

Would the Ragnarok be overkill?

I like the idea of that replacing my current amplifier set up too.

If you're going to need it to drive speakers too then it's less of whether it's overkill for the headphone but whether it's enough for the speakers with room size taken into account. If it's enough, then at least it performs both functions, and unlike some other speaker integrated amps, at least the Ragnarok is known to not have any compromises in design that would make it a bad choice for some headphones (ex low impedance and low sensitivity).

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 19
I am struggling to find anything for the HD800.. bar the Schiit Raggy

Are there any other good pairings? - Currawong suggested in one of his reviews that Head-A was a good fit for the HD800 I am thinking I might have to import that in

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 19
  I am struggling to find anything for the HD800.. bar the Schiit Raggy

Are there any other good pairings? - Currawong suggested in one of his reviews that Head-A was a good fit for the HD800 I am thinking I might have to import that in

Looks like your problem is the headphone a lot more than the amp. Get the Lyr2 and LCD-2, then whatever power amp to drive the speakers, using the preamp output from the Lyr2.

Sep 14, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #8 of 19
Wondering what the OP decided?

You might check out Ray Samuels line of headphone amps. He receives top reviews on his gear, including mine for my F-117 phono preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back