Valhalla 2 vs Vali 2
May 11, 2016 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JBassFox

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I couldn't really find too many details on the differences and advantages between the two, so I'm asking for your help.

I'm still pretty new to higher end audio. I have a pair of DT990s, and it's finally time to get an amp and DAC to pair with it. After debating whether I needed a Bifrost or Modi, I decided the Modi 2 Uber is more than enough for me at this time. But what amp? I'm pretty stuck on tube amps to tame down the highs on my headphones, though I'm not sensitive to it at all, so the Vali 2 and Valhalla 2 are the ones I'm looking at (unless you have any other suggestions). How different do they sound? Is the $200 worth the difference? What about the Lyr? I do have some lower impedance cans, but will also be looking into higher ones in the future.

Also, if it helps at all, this will mostly be attached to my laptop for music or my PS4 for gaming and movies.

Thank you all for always being so helpful.

May 11, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi everyone. I couldn't really find too many details on the differences and advantages between the two, so I'm asking for your help.

Some comments I've found that might prove interesting. Lots of opinions.  BTW I have neither the Vali 2 nor the Vahalla 2.  I'm using the discontinued Vali 1.

>  Vali 2 leaves you alone. Vali 2 is more neutral for better or worse. Vali 1 has a touch of warmth in the mid and lower mids and the treble is kind of steely, grainy, and  slightly emphasized.  Vali 2 doesn't have that "haunting" or "rich" tube sound.
 >  Vali 2 is amazing... in the sense of how completely normal it sounds. Hard to hear it's cap coupled. In contrast to Vali 1 where the microphonic tubes gave it some immediately exciting "character" (which did make it sound good), Vali 2 doesn't make itself known like the Vali 1's shouting "hear me! I sound pretty good huh". Vali 2 is more subtle and it's only an hour later until you realize how good it is.
>  the Vali 2 sounds better than Starlight and is competitive with Ember (depends on headphones, source, setup, etc.). In the overall scheme of things, Ember, Vali 2, Lyr 2, etc. are all in the same ballpark, just a bit different sounding from each other. 
>  personally find the Vali 2 to be more resolving than the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball with my HD580, and this is based on long auditions of both. Still, it doesn't beat the Valhalla 2 in that department (Valhalla 2 has better staging as well).
 > the Valhalla 2 is an excellent choice. It has a very "clear" tube sound, meaning it isn't too warm and tubey sounding. It doesn't have that distorted warm mushy "classic" tube sound like the Valhalla 1.   It actually reminds me of a supped-up Vali 1 with better clarity and resolution.
 > make me appreciate how solid of a little amp the Vali 2 is. It's not as clear, not as crisp, not as spacious, but it's also less than half the price of the Valhalla 2 and it gets a lot right
 > I have the Valhalla 2. It sounds clean, very resolving, and natural. There is a hint of tube wetness, but it is not tubey sounding, not warm per se.   Less tubeyish than my Vali 1, and Vali 1 is less resolving.
 > Vali 1 to upgrade to Valhalla 2. Valhalla 2 has more detail, clarity and soundstage.but this is very subjective, but my opinion is  that, although the V2 is better, the difference is not that huge.

May 12, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 3
Oh and the Vahalla 2 is optimized for high impedence cans like the Senn HD6x0 series.  IEMs and headphones with low (e.g. 32 ohms) impedence will not work well with this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back