Valentines Day...GAH WHAT DO I DO!!
Feb 5, 2008 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

darkangel9685

100+ Head-Fier
I know valentines is just shy of 2 weeks away but i like to prepare....

Me and my gf are going to see WICKED on broadway (the gershwin theater) in NYC that nite at 8pm.

We wanted to go out to dinner, and i was told to surprise her. I don't know any good restaurants in and around the area!!

Can someone more knowledgeable than me give some suggestions. We're open for anything.

My other dillema is what to get her. I HATE giving jewelry. so impersonal. we've been going out for 5+ years. I'm really stuck on this one.
(i'm planning to get her a pink nano w/ decent headphones for her b-day which is 5 days later)

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 20
I can't help with restaurant recommendations unfortunately. As far as what to get her... I would think the show, dinner, and a well written card letting her know why you appreciate her so much should be enough.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 20
I know the area around Broadway pretty well and I can give you some good restaurant recommendations but it would be helpful to know what your looking to spend.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkangel9685 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know valentines is just shy of 2 weeks away but i like to prepare....

Me and my gf are going to see WICKED on broadway (the gershwin theater) in NYC that nite at 8pm.

We wanted to go out to dinner, and i was told to surprise her. I don't know any good restaurants in and around the area!!

Can someone more knowledgeable than me give some suggestions. We're open for anything.

My other dillema is what to get her. I HATE giving jewelry. so impersonal. we've been going out for 5+ years. I'm really stuck on this one.
(i'm planning to get her a pink nano w/ decent headphones for her b-day which is 5 days later)

If yall live together, flowers everywhere
icon10.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 20
Wow, V-day and B-day, right after Christmas/Holiday recovery, you don't get much of a break do you?

Make a nice dinner at home. Not cheap, but nice wine/other beverage, starter, main course, salad, dessert, maybe take her out (weather permitting) for a walk to get dessert, or stay in for a more intimate setting? I've always made a good impression with females when I cooked. (I'm good) but they also dig the effort.

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by brotherlen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, V-day and B-day, right after Christmas/Holiday recovery, you don't get much of a break do you?

no, no i dont...but i always seem to manage. After all, our anniversary amd my b-day are less than a week away as well (kinda weird how it worked out huh?)

anyways, for those suggesting restaurants, please keep it to the NYC area! They were good suggestions though!
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 20
i love wicked! don't know how much you want to spend, but le bernardin is a fantastic place for upscale seafood...gramercy tavern is also nice.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

a couple of recommendations for nearby restaurants:

Esca on 43rd/9th
this is my favorite Mario Batali restaurant, and easily one of my Top Five restaurants in the whole city. the crudos are other-worldly, the service is excellent and the wine list is gigantic (but there's a great sommelier to help).

Toloache on 50th near Broadway
it's an interesting haute Mexican place with a great Tequila list. i'd pick Esca first, but this place has a unique menu and it's right next door to the Gershwin.

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #13 of 20
Koi-40 West 40th Street-It is a very hip Japanese restaurant and a fun place to go. I find the food to be very good but there are definitely better sushi places to be found.

http://www.pianoduenyc.net/-151 West 51st Street-This is probably my favorite Italian place in the city. The food is fantastic and the wait staff is excellent. Also the Palio Bar below the restaurant is beautiful and a great place to grab a drink before dinner.

Firebird-West 46th Street-If you want something different you can try Firebird. It is a Russian restaurant and serves great food.

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't help with restaurant recommendations, but I just had to ask: jewellery too impersonal?

i dunno, i feel like it's a cop-out....like "here honey, i couldn't think of anything that symbolizes our relationship better than a shiny rock that has nothing to say about a either of us..."

great restaurants BTW! I'll defiantly be checking these out in the coming days...i go to school in columbus circle, so it'll be a quick walk after class tomorrow

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

i dunno, i feel like it's a cop-out....like "here honey, i couldn't think of anything that symbolizes our relationship better than a shiny rock that has nothing to say about a either of us..."

You need to familiarize yourself with sterling silver and local members of the artisan community! One-of-a-kind works of art are available for very little dough!
wink.gif

Just the same, I get what you're saying. Just begged the question, is all.

[EDIT] ...and nice to see a fellow JTHM fan, by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back