Valab NOS DAC - subjective listening and modifications
Aug 27, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #856 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question about the 2009 dac. Do I have to change any jumper settings inside to get the best sound from USB? I notice there is a spdif or i2s jumper setting?

You don't have to set a jumper inside. The audio data which is transferred over USB is always i2s data.
Nice avatar pic by the way. I can't wait until the beatles remasters are released on the 9th of september. I heard some samples already and they sound amazing!

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #858 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, you have links of those samples?

No, I met a beatlefan who managed to lay his hands on a very limited 15 track promo CD with 30 second snippets of the remasters. I heard it at his place. The only thing I could find myself was a comparison of 'Drive My Car' between the 1987 CD pressing, Dr. Ebbits 'needle drop' and the new remaster. The first thing you notice is that the remaster sounds like the original LP pressing. On the 1987 CD pressing they added a reverb to the vocals (which shouldn't be there).

Here a link to the file: download

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #861 of 2,013
Rhodes-

I am "a bit" concerned about the harmonics in the 10-20khz band you measured. I wonder if the layout (distance) of your SSO mod is affecting this. (I.E. Is something else affecting the analog signals).

Does your control DAC have a SSO mod? If not, perhaps you do this mod and then retest. I am curious where the harmonic's are being generated. Like you said there is no brickwall filter. I can't imagine the ferrite beads/caps we are bypassing have that much harmonic reduction effect.
Then again???

Thanks for your effort on this.

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #862 of 2,013
Sorry if my story about the measurements might not be completely clear. English is not my native language so this technical stuff is hard to explain in English sometimes.
I tried to explain in my post that I did a two tests with the stock DAC after I saw the 'tragic' results of the modded dac with SSOM.
Test one: Stock Valab with filter.
Test two: Stock Valab without filter (SSOM'ed).
With the filter everything looked fine, without the filter it was a complete disaster, just as the modded dac.

We found out that they were harmonics when we started to do sweeps. One of the things we did was creating a sweep going slowly from 4khz to 5khz. During the sweep you could clearly see that on some frequencies (e.g. 4.5678 Khz) there suddenly was a huge amount of distortion which got less as soon as the frequency went up. The higher we went into the frequency band the more frequent the distortions came up.

Now there are some things we didn't think of and might have influenced the tests so we will do another one next week (hopefully) if I have the time for it. If I won't make it I have to wait until i'm back from holiday.
If we do another test I will make sure to bring my camera and shoot some pics for you.
Sometimes a picture says more than a thousand words.
If the results are the same as the first test, I will start playing with the ferrite beads and caps while connected to the scope to see what happens.

To be continued. :)

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #863 of 2,013
I saw this review of the modded Lite DAC-Ah which is similar to the VALAB = LiTe DAC-Ah And Baddymod LiTe DAC-Ah Review By Phil Gold

bothinside.jpg

Take notice of that r-core transformer.

Another interesting point is the mention of a silver wired input transformer from Audio Note. I checked ANs site but it is only mentioned in connection with their finished products. I bet they will entertain selling one anyway.

Aug 28, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #864 of 2,013
Installed the Lundahl LL1572. My wife (who is not seduced by new toys) immediately said how Leonard Cohen's voice has deepened over the years (we were playing 10 New Songs from 2001,a familiar album, and we have just been to Venice to see him perform). I noticed a reduction in sibilance, which made micro details clearer. Guess which one of us listened to music first?
I have been asking about silver solid core digital cable, as that seems to bring similar benefits, to my ears. As soon as I can get a DC-30 I will see (hear) if my wife can spot the difference.

Aug 29, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #865 of 2,013
when I did the ssom I heard a fuller sound. Is this the distortion that rhodes measured? could it be like how solid state compares to tubes.

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #866 of 2,013
People might try experimenting with those wrap around the interconnect ferrites like those that come on computer cables, some have two halves that clip together. Or find some surplus toroid cores and run the output cables through them. Might roll off some of the distortion on the scope, dunno.

My gigalab is still stock...

ph34r.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #868 of 2,013
slightly off topic ..I just built one of these passive pre's and this thing is amazing cost less than 100.00 to build ... google lightspeed LDR and read what people are saying.. no moving parts uses LDR's the control the volume

DIY Lightspeed Passive Attenuator

Rich

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #869 of 2,013
<a href=http://boinc.vanderbilt.edu/CSB/view_profile.php?userid=2346>accutane</a> Accutane <a href=http://boinc.vanderbilt.edu/CSB/view_profile.php?userid=2344>teach bactrim uti</a> Bactrim <a href=http://vietnamitv.com/iptv/members/Order-Cardizem-Online-Without-Prescription.aspx>cardizem iv dose</a> Cardizem ” link continued linkstory.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #870 of 2,013
<a href=http://boinc.vanderbilt.edu/CSB/view_profile.php?userid=2345>buy phentermine</a> Phentermine <a href=http://boinc.vanderbilt.edu/CSB/view_profile.php?userid=2341>cardizem price</a> Cardizem <a href=http://boinc.vanderbilt.edu/CSB/view_profile.php?userid=2346>atlanta accutane law suits</a> Accutane He observed linkactions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back