Valab NOS DAC - subjective listening and modifications
Sep 19, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #976 of 2,013
any experiance with the Cheaper Mundorf supreme line? They are less then half the cost of the silver. Also what about the size? Will the 1uf mundorf fit in the chasis with the lid closed, I hate to buy them and have to send them back or re-sale them because they don't fit, I don't want to put it in a new case or leave the top off. Right now was considering somthing like bypass the stock caps with a .22uf mundorf supreme. They are only 13$ ea. If the 1uf would fit they are about 20$ each. The silver series is more then double the cost. 1UF seems kind of weak if people all recomend 4.7 and the stock is 10uf.

or even the standard Mundorf MKP Series, you could easily fit a full 4.7UF in there. I don't have any idea how the MKP series sounds though.

Thanks for your input
mike

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #977 of 2,013
If you are not removing that power transformer you are short on space.

I was able to fit the Obbligatos in the area where the stock caps go, shoehorned in. The size of the Obbligatos are 22 x 35 mm. They fit.

The Mundorfs however are 30*39. They won't fit.

Without removing that blue transformer you will not have enough room to bypass the 1uF Obbligatos .... but they are worthy nonetheless.

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #978 of 2,013
I have googled for the mundorf vs others and found these two insightful postings:

My Capacitor comparisons: Mundorfs, VCap, Sonicap Platinum, Auricap, etc
Capacitors: Sonicap vs. V-Cap OIMP vs. Multicap Vs. Mundorf on 10 Audio

Of course, there is no telling how exactly they would match up with the valab DAC. Going by these, I am happy I made a purchase on the Mundorf .1uF OIMP caps. Should get here sometime next week
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #979 of 2,013
Sep 19, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #980 of 2,013
Do you plan to just bypass the stock caps with those mundorf? Why choose .1uf I noticed on partsconnection, that .1 uf all the way to .68 UF are the same size and same price. Which of these would be best?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have googled for the mundorf vs others and found these two insightful postings:

My Capacitor comparisons: Mundorfs, VCap, Sonicap Platinum, Auricap, etc

Of course, there is no telling how exactly they would match up with the valab DAC. Going by these, I am happy I made a purchase on the Mundorf .1uF OIMP caps. Should get here sometime next week
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #981 of 2,013
Ooooops, I meant 1uFs, not .1uFs. I am following Pat's suggestions as given here:

Quote:

I am using 1uF cryo'd Obbligato's + .1uF Mundorf silver oil.

I would go for the 1uF Mundorfs, and may yet.... Another of us recommends keeping the spec up to 4.7uF at ouput.

The reason for 1uFs I believe is such that anything larger in capacitance (and hence the size) is unlikely fit inside the case without cutting the top which I would rather not.

Sep 19, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #982 of 2,013
ah that makes since miko, I will probably wait for you to get your caps and follow your lead, you also have the Luxery dac. I do wonder though if a lower quality bigger cap will work well, like the Mundorf MKP Series, the 4.7uf version is only like 19x28, it will fit easily and still maintain the full 4.7 UF. none of that matters if it sounds like poo though, it is only 4.50 afterall.

Can someone explain to me the different V ratings on caps, like some say 250V, 630V, 1200V, what does that number mean, and is it signifigant for this application?

Sep 19, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #983 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pat I have the luxery version, it's laid out quite abit differently. Take a look at these pic's here. It looks like there might be enough room for some pretty decent size caps, I dunno though, im thinking of geting a protractor and making some paper tubes to scale, to help get an idea of what size I can fit.

Valab TDA1543 NOS USB Re-Clock DAC MK-1 Luxury Version - eBay (item 290345437570 end time Sep-30-09 18:52:06 PDT)

Take the front off and get a ruler and measure from top of board to bottom of inner chassis lid. Then take the top lid off and measure how high the component is that the cap will sit on. Subtract that and you have your cap thickness.

Or looking at this picture how high is that heatsink? that might be your measuring stick.

k8.jpg

Sep 20, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #984 of 2,013
that's a really nice pic you got there pat, I don't see it on the ebay site. The heatsink actually sits flush to the top of the dac, it makes contact with the top chasis, i guess that would be the best way to go then, great idea, thanks. I notice in that pic the Clocks have that open hole on them, in my dac it's got a black sticker over the hole.

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #985 of 2,013
I wonder how the 4.7UF sonicaps work, I know kooka tried them awhile back, but I have not heard how much he liked them or if he stuck with them. The price is certainly right.. 11.20 each for 4.7 uf's. Here's an old comparison of sonicap vs mundorf. Those mundorfs are kind of out of my price range at 45$ each!

they are about the same price as the obbligato's, but you can fit a full 4.7UF.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #987 of 2,013
There as another thread at Audigon that brought up Duelund, so I had to look it up at PartsConnexion. Not only they were way out of my budget, from the looks of it I get a feeling they don't lend themselves to an easy integration in the unadulterated valab enclosure. The more I read about them, the more I am starting to like how they describe Mundorf silver/oil to be
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #988 of 2,013
You can certainly hear differences in them in the analog output section of this DAC.

So far I've had carbon comp, carbon film, metal film from Caddock, PRP, Kiwami. I've just removed the Caddocks in place of some cheap carbon film and the sound has softened up, less dynamic, darker but more ambiance. Yet to try Riken in this DAC which someone calls the SET of resistors. PRP has been my favorite so far.

For me the inexpensive metal film and carbon film sound etchy but softer than Caddocks. Carbon comp sound smokey moofled. The Caddocks are very dynamic but too bright for me. The PRP had the best warmest most impact-full sound which puts me in the direction of the Rikens for next up to bat.

Doing this resistor swap has let me in on the future in that I may replace all the RIAA resistors in my phono with high precision and leave Riken or Takman carbon film for the rest of the signal.

It looks like in critical places like feeding the digital receiver is where the most precision is called for. Then to add some human dimension Riken/Takman carbon film elsewhere. [Kiwami are too fuzzy]

Again how this may relate is to use a precision resistor in loading the input of the phono preamp or the step up headamp and to load carbon on the output.

Get the handoff cleanly then add color on the way out.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #990 of 2,013
I found another cool article on caps here

ecp.cc

I think I'm leaning towards the 4.7UF Sonicaps. The price is good, and they maintain the full 4.7 uf spec. As for bypass caps, I'm not sure, the Vishay MKP1837 looks interesting, or possibly a GenII sonicap.

Could get 2 4.7 uf sonicap and a pair of either GenII or the MKP1837's for 30 bucks.

edit: i notice alot of these high end caps have very high voltage ratings (400, 600, +) this adds to their size considerably. That's one of the reason the sonicap can still fit at 4.7 uf, they are only 200v, but all that high voltage is unnecessary, the original caps are only 16v.

whatever happend to Kooka anyways, he just disappeared. Wonder if he kept the sonicaps as output.

Dac is coming up on 48 hrs burn in, still not sounding close to my jan 09 model. Paitience...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back