Valab NOS DAC - subjective listening and modifications
Jul 28, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #706 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by zzodhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I googled my brains out. The closest I got was to a blog that showed how to hook up the reclocking board.

I just received an email form Valabs (Kevin) stating their version of this power supply will be released next month.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #707 of 2,013
PatOMalley;5883180 said:
Got my DC-30W PSU and wired it up. to my 2008 version.
Getting the old transformer off is not as easy as it looks. I think they might have glued the thing down.

Teradacs instruction on how to wire the PSU up: http://rmq23q.bay.livefilestore.com/...w/IMG_0097.JPG

QUOTE]

Hey Pat, I'm glad the DC-30W is working more miracles in the DAC, I can't wait until my unit arrives... About removing old transformer, did you use solder sucker to remove all the solder from transformer pins? Also, if you think there is some glue underneth the transformer can you slip exacto blade underneath it to see if you can remove the glue?

Bill mentioned using better 20-22AWG wire between DC-30W and DAC, I am investigating if using Silversonic interconnect cable from DH Labs directly between the DC-30W and DAC is a step forward... I guess I won't know until try it. Here is the link to Silversonic cable: DH Labs Silversonic - Products - BL-1 Innerconnect

Norm

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #708 of 2,013
Norm,

Yeah, I used my Radio Shack solder sucker bulb. I'll go back and give it another try when I replace the threaded with solid core.

So I suppose we should replace that in the connecting power cable and in the wire coming off the PSU board, as well. If you set the DAC on top of the PSU you can make that connecting power cable real short.

I also replaced the coax conector with silver. Sound is now on a par, I think, with Toslink. I have a choke for the coax coming in the mail. Maybe I can improve the coax above the Toslinks performance.

Here is an interesting thread on R-core transformers. diyAudio Forums Archive - Where can found R-core Transformer?

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #709 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by r8833 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
google Teradak Dac ..you'll find a site with the manufacturers email

Recently, I organized a group buy for the DC-30W and have got to know Michael... It helps since we both speak the same language, etc
Both Michael and I have full time jobs and we do this as a hobby... Because of logistics, Michael can't be dealing with end users too often. I have decided to step up and help. What is going to happen is I'll be selling TeraDak on Ebay starting with DC-30W. I'm still trying to figure out a way to make it so that end customers will get the most savings, etc So please stay tuned. I plan to have everything setup in the next couple of days on ebay. Expect the DC-30W to cost US120 shipped.

If you have suggestions on how we can make it easier for you to get the DC-30W please feel free to comment.

Norm

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #710 of 2,013
If you want to avoid Ebay fees both listing and auction ending fees you could sell here to the maniac modders concurrently with any eBay listing for people outside the HF group. You could have a running post in the for sale area.

That would make it nice for the group and you. Also we're all going to replace the umbilical cord with solid core wire. I don't know if TeraDac is interesting in switching so we don't have to remake the harness but it would be nice.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #711 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by zzodhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to avoid paypal fees both listing and auction ending fees you could sell here to the maniac modders concurrently with any eBay listing for people outside the HF group. You could have a running post in the for sale area.

That would make it nice for the group and you. Also we're all going to replace the umbilical cord with solid core wire. I don't know if TeraDac is interesting in switching so we don't have to remake the harness but it would be nice.

Interesting suggestions. I can't see how to avoid Paypal fees, which I'm not fan of, and have people have the confidence that they are buying something that is somewhat insured/secure. I guess we have to pay to play, but my goal is to maximize play and minimize pay :)

Norm

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #715 of 2,013
It's hard trying to put into words what things sound like. In particular the effect of the DC-30W PSU. Possibly because the effect is a subtle change across the board. Hard to fully describe that. BUT.

I have this 12 string guitar CD, the Leo Kotke one that everyone else has, and I thought it was OK. I thought the mastering for the CD came off a little strident and cold. I and the one we call "the wife" both liked the record better after the PSU was in place. I was talking about the whole PSU thing, boring her, and she said, that she thought the CD was just growing on here and she liked it better not knowing it was the PSU making the difference.

Even her words were not definitive in an etched resolving way. "Liked it better." Sort of an organic answer. Sort of like butter on a muffin. i e I like it better that way.

I am always looking for a justification for the effort or the money expended. I like to see the 'effect' of the effort and the money. When a change, for me, seems subtle but fundamental it slips my grasp at explanation, ipso justification.

I have to use my peripheral vision to see what is there. Then I see it all. NOW I feel justified.

This post is for the benefit of all the other hard heads out there like me who WANT RESULTS but always don't know how to appreciate them.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #716 of 2,013
My experience is a power supply can make a world of difference. Immediate and noticeable. Bill mentioned he had to adjust the variable resistors on his to get correct voltages. Have you tested your voltages?

Also how many hours are on this puppy. The iron and caps needs at least 100 hours to break in.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #717 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatOMalley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's hard trying to put into words what things sound like. In particular the effect of the DC-30W PSU. Possibly because the effect is a subtle change across the board. Hard to fully describe that. I have to use my peripheral vision to see what is there. Then I see it all. NOW I feel justified.

This post is for the benefit of all the other hard heads out there like me who WANT RESULTS but always don't know how to appreciate them.

Hey Pat, you are making me hungry already with your descriptions :) I think what Zzodhi said is valid, it will only "taste better"... Please keep writing...

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #719 of 2,013
Just received my DC-30W..Just as Bill described the bass is more 3D and the piano has more weight to it. The snare drum has a tighter and more taunt sound..cleaner presentation with the highs ..Highly recommend it

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #720 of 2,013
I have some Blackgate FK's for the power supply and the regulator cap that I have yet to put in my Valab. If I added the outboard power supply, I assume that woulds bypass the blackgates in the power supply. Right? Bear w/me I'm still somewhat of a newbie with some of this. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back