Valab NOS DAC - subjective listening and modifications
May 31, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #391 of 2,013
krisno,

Can we see a picture?

And do you mean to say that you rushed to the computer after only five minutes of play time? hehe is right. but, as you say, bypassing isn't for everyone.

Where did you get the Ampohms? What is your distributor or whatever? I was thinking of trying them but couldn't find an internet source.

Thanks,
Pat

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A huge letdown ?

I just bypassed my 4.7uf obbligato's with Ampohm 0.22uf paper in wax. It's only been running for 5 minutes, but it sounds almost distorted I feel. Much less clean sound or whatever.

I thought this was going to be good. Maybe bypassing is not for me, and just do myself a favour and use just 1 mundorf supreme .... hmm. I thought that it would become more realistic with this paper in wax. But well... break-in time?

It sound's much more unfocused and flatter..... i thought it would be just more vibrant and 'fatter' voices etc. hehe...

May 31, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #392 of 2,013
Pictures.. enjoy!

dac_amp.jpg

dac_amp2.jpg

dac_amp3.jpg

I had to put some tape under there because the obbligato's bend under their own weigth.

I took the ampohm's off again, but now they are back on (after I burned myself on the 600degree soldering iron), and I have watched The Incredibles.

I notice that the volume is lower, have to increase it on the dial. But I have to agree with R8833. It does sound more refined, and some of that harshness is gone.. It really does sound somewhat better than with obbligato's alone.

But will they open up somewhat more after use?

Got them from hificollective.co.uk

K

May 31, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #395 of 2,013
ampohm caps can be sourced from thetubestore.com

May 31, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #397 of 2,013
Those paper in wax really do add 'fatness' to the voices(is that what you call prat?). Most movies sound extremly realistic now. BUT, they seem to add some distortion, or atleast the music is not as 'clean' as before..... vocals may be 'too fat' sounding now.. This is with a discrete solidstate. Go figure how it will sound when i add a tube amp?!....

The shanling ph100 really is a room heater....

But well, this Bill guy has the Jupiter paper in wax, they must be more sirupy than these 0.22 ampohm's ??

Maybe this is done wrong anyways. That I should have used 5.4uf ampohm bypassed with mundorf supreme or silver oil 0.22uf.

K

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #399 of 2,013
Using only the obbligato's is alot more 'clean', and it sounded like pure obbligato's had better bass?

I need to mount these differently and cut down on the lead length. I got this 0.5mm silver hookup cable. I will use that instead. Will the bass be as good?

DDDOE making that very nice DDDAC 2000 .. Mrk II ... check it out. Way better solution than Valab, and that USB module he has there. Asynchronus with a real reclocker running on separate 5v!

Well, this guy, he recommends the Mundorf silver/gold output capacitor (not oil), and in 1UF size!! 1uf ? ... i thought that the 'uf' size proportionatly affects the bass. the smaller value the less bass?

If not, maybe I could just remove the obbligato's all togehter and just use the 0.22uf paper in wax. Though I think, in the end, it might sound a bit 'too fat' now. It has been burning in with white noise all night. Will see how it sounds after breakfast.

K

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #400 of 2,013
It sounds even more 'fat', 'sluggish'...

the sound is more realistic and I guess, on some jazz it might be great. In some movies it's like i said, very analog and realistic.. But it is really to much, and I even own AKG K 701. Using sennheiser's these ampohm's might be the death of them.

I thought the 0.22uf would just add this small tad of warmth and musicality, but I don't feel I hear the obbligato's at all anymore.

But it is more refined, with only the obbligato's, it sounds a little harsh....

Can someone explain, the size of the cap, 0.22uf or 4.7uf, isnt the biggest difference bass? or what does the size have to say?

I think I will end up removeing these bypass caps. It's just too warm really.. voices become very real, analog and 'fat' sounding..

K

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #401 of 2,013
I have been soldering on and off these ampohm's all day... watched a couple of movies also.

The ampohm 0.22uf is doing their trick. It really is more musical, more real, more defined, sweeter and gone are the harsh middler/high tones. The ampomhs really brings out the mids, and makes them extremly realistic...But a bit of spatiality is gone I must say. So I wonder how this will be when putting a tube amp on it.... it might be just too mushy.

I am not sure if I will go the NOS dac route anymore after this.... what I need to do is mount it outside the casing and drill a few holes, but I got no drill here, so well...

K

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #404 of 2,013
I am going to order 2x 0.22uf Sonicap Gen II ..

what do you think of using those to bypass the obbligato's .? The sound really is more refined with the bypass, but the PIW is too much. The jupiters must be the same as these, they are so old also? but bill seems to like the jupiters.

Do you want mine for cheap patomalley, the ampohm 0.22 paper in wax??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back