Valab NOS DAC - subjective listening and modifications
May 15, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #331 of 2,013
Oh, I see, thanks, I forgot about that.
redface.gif

About the mounting method of this module for anyone interested, Michael of Teradak would have solution finally if he is willing to sales this module as an up-grade parts.

Danny

May 15, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #334 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone done the SSOM mod on the 09 dac yet ? Can show us some photo please , ie where's the dac chip ground is ? thx ~

If I'm correct, the DAC ground can be found on the negative side of the 10uF caps on the board. This means that when you have replaced these caps by Blackgates they are quite hard to reach.

An other spot could be the GND leading from the mainboard to the board with the DAC chips.
Also the right leg of the LM334 is grounded.

There are probably more spots (also on the underside of the board) but I didn't measure the complete board yet and also haven't checked the underside of the DAC chip board to see which trace is better than the one where the resistor is grounded now so I don't know which spot will be the best place.

Here's a picture of places where I found the GND so far:

May 15, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #335 of 2,013
I discussed this with Steve Nugent and he said the ground point needs to be as close to the first DAC chip as possible. He agreed the best spot (and easiest) would be where the ground enter's the small Dac board.

(This will take some more study with the 2008 Valab Dac)

With our "Keep it Simple" Concept ... tieing in all the ground wires at this point makes the most sense. He also suggested to separate the grounds at the RCA jacks and run individual wires back to this new grounding point.

Get SOMM!!!

May 16, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #336 of 2,013
I sended my Valab to Tentlabs yesterday. They will try to find the best place to connect the Tentlabs XO Clock to the board. As they have the correct measuring equipment they will also check if adding a clock is useful (and worth investing).

@ Bill: What does a cryogenic treatment cost in the US? It seems to be more common property to have your hifi equipement cryogenic treated than here. Of all companies I found most of them don't have experiences treating audio equipment and the few I found are really expensive.

I also received my lasered frontpanel yesterday and expect the drilled backpanel to arrive somewhere next week. Then I can finally give the Valab his new home: the 'Dreamdac'.

May 16, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #338 of 2,013
I have my gear Computer Cryo treated here in Scottsdale AZ. 1 Cryogenics, Cryogenic Treatment, Tempering, and Cryo Processing: Cryogenics International Charles charges $9 a pound with a $75 minimum, he has Cryo'd hundreds of parts for me . Get your items to him by Friday and they are shipped back on Monday. (He Cryo's over the weekend). Like you found most Cryogenic Labs lack the experience with audio gear. Even worse most use unsophisticated bull sperm tanks that only go down to -300 F. The computer controlled freezing and thawing profile is crucial, and above all, you need to hold the gear at -320 F for lasting results.

Yea I too question what an on board clock can do, it will be interesting to see what Tent Labs has to say on the matter.

Look forward to seeing your new case.

May 16, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #339 of 2,013
Did the SSOM Mod to night : ) get a better picture and little more details too , i don't have silver wire with me so i chopped up a pair of old UE custom cables for the mod seems not bad .

May 17, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #340 of 2,013
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did the SSOM Mod to night : ) get a better picture and little more details too , i don't have silver wire with me so i chopped up a pair of old UE custom cables for the mod seems not bad .

Hi Calter, picture please.
icon10.gif

May 17, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #342 of 2,013
Got a email from Micheal at teradak ..he's is having a group order on re-clock boards at a lower price . $25.00 includes airmail shipping.. Cheap tweak for those interested

His email

happyguy888mit@hotmail.com

Rich

May 17, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #344 of 2,013
It reclocks the toslink and spdif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back