Valab NOS DAC- Computer Audio Observations & Measurements
Mar 9, 2009 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Bill Allen

100+ Head-Fier
The purpose of this thread is share Computer Audio Tips to optimize the USB input on the Valab Dac. This includes various drivers/software programs used for ripping, playback of audio files stored on a computers. Any meaningful tests and measurements to constructively describe the capabilities and deficiencies of the DAC should also be explored.

My experiments using the USB interface revealed the best sound using Windows XP "unmapped" with Foobar 8.3, output set using Direct Sound 2.0 and the CM108 driver. I also preferred the sound with SRC (Secret Rabbit Code) engaged for 96/24 software up sampling. SRC will really make your computer work hard and if you computer kung fu is weak … best to leave SRC off! I understand the TDA1543 DAC's only accept 44.1K/16bit but it still sounds better to my ears when you feed the USB receiver chip 96/24. Your mileage may vary.

Computer Audio software scenarios all sound differently, and I for one, am not going to argue the reasons why. What sounds good to you may sound poorly in someone else's system do to synergy or improper setup. The best sound is usually found by accident, at least that has been my experience.

For example using my Mac Mini I prefer iTunes AIFF rips with error correction clicked "on" in preferences. However playback sounds best using "Play" by SBooth.org. While they also make ripping software called "MAX" I prefer the iTunes rips. Go figure. When wifi streaming music to my Mac Mini, I prefer to the sound of .wav EAC ripped music on my PC played back through iTunes.

I know this sounds crazy but this is the state of Computer Audio as I know it. I have never taken a single measurement nor have any idea if everything is staying bit perfect blah, blah, blah. My ears have always been by guide and I trust what they tell me.

With all of the scenarios above I have yet to hear the dreaded clipped sound that has been discussed on the previous thread. While I have no doubt this is a "real" problem for some players, understand there are solutions to every problem. Let’s not complain about them, let’s explore the options and do something constructive.

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 31
I've been running my '08 V-dac via monoprice 6ft usb cable straight from Foobar, no tweaks.

I'm really interested on people's opinions about USB Asio...I actually installed Asio4All and components on Foobar2000, and thus far no audible differences from my very brief listen.

IMO, I've had greater gains with playing with the RCA interconnects..demoing silver interconnects improved imaging to scary proportions..I really wanted to reach out my hand to see if anything was there. YMMV

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 31
I just got the Valab today in the mail (pretty quick shipping, less than a week). I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight. I have it plugged in now at work and it runs hot, that's for sure. I'm planning on using it mainly in a computer set-up: Windows XP w/Foobar 8.3. I was attracted to this dac as it seems to be one of the few dac that offer USB -> I2S. I'm currently using a M-Audio Audiophile w/SPDIF running into the digital input of my Cal Audio CL-15. I've tried the PS Audio Link Dac III, and both the USB and Non-USB Benchmark neither impressed me enough to replace the Cal player. We'll see how this stacks-up.

Will this support Kernel Streaming? I've found this to sound the best with my current set-up. Also, does it show-up as a generic device in Foobar?

I'll try the SRC but not sure why it would make a difference. Have you tried 16 bit padded to 24?

I'll post my impressions when I get a chance to burn it in and get some good listening time in.

System: Windows XP, Foobar 8.3, M-Audio Audiophile, Cal Audio CL-15, Pass Labs X1, Pass Labs X250, PSB Platinum T8, Cardas Golden Hexlink 5-C IC's and Goertz M3.

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 31
Well, I got the dac home and put it in my system. The unit is very distorted in the right channel. Basically, just white noise with some of the music to be heard underneath. Left channel is O.K. I sent Kevin and e-mail to see how to send this back and get replacement. I'm bummed, was looking forward to getting this up and running.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 31
sorry to hear that, it's pretty typical with the valab dac unfortunatly. Expect a long turn around time.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by woolybugger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I got the dac home and put it in my system. The unit is very distorted in the right channel. Basically, just white noise with some of the music to be heard underneath. Left channel is O.K. I sent Kevin and e-mail to see how to send this back and get replacement. I'm bummed, was looking forward to getting this up and running.

Are you on a 240V power supply?

I had same problem with white noise through both channels. TeraDac thinks it is to do with transformer struggling with a 240V power supply. Hopefully Valab are sending me a new one this week. It seems to be a re-occuring problem with this DAC. They ought to check it before they ship it.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 31
Sent and e-mail out last night, had reply this morning from Kevin. Will return for replacement. I'm on 110, so that doesn't seem to be an issue.

I was able to mess around with foobar and was unable to get it to work w/Kernel streaming or ASIO/ASIO4ALL, just directsound etc.. Basically the same issues I had with the PS Audio Dac. I was able to use ASIO4ALL w/JRiver though.

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Jump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you on a 240V power supply?

I had same problem with white noise through both channels. TeraDac thinks it is to do with transformer struggling with a 240V power supply. Hopefully Valab are sending me a new one this week. It seems to be a re-occuring problem with this DAC. They ought to check it before they ship it.

I think I had the same recently but it seem to have gone away by itself again.

On a positive note I have gotten rid of the noise. Using my pimeta amp and on another computer... So will have to see if it´s the amp synergy or other computer that solves it.

Otherwise how long of a usb cable is okay to use with this? Thinking of trying some of the rear ports.

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 31
for kernal streaming to work you need to install the CM108 specific drivers. ASIO4all should work though foobar if it's setup right, mine does. with the standard windows driver, or the cm108

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for kernal streaming to work you need to install the CM108 specific drivers. ASIO4all should work though foobar if it's setup right, mine does. with the standard windows driver, or the cm108

Where would I get the CM108 Drivers?

How do you have Foobar set-up to use ASIO4all?

thanks

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 31
Audiophile Reference Music Server For A Song | Computer Audiophile

Last night my friend Jonathan and I did an Audio Ripping/Playback extravaganza.

I Ripped Mahler’s 2nd Symphony (a recording I could never listen to before the Valab Dac came along) into both .wav and .aiff uncompressed files into my Mac Mini, iMac and PC Laptop. All playback was via iTunes 44.1/16 Bit “wifi” Ethernet to my Airport Express, Glass Toslink to the Pace-Car, Co-ax to my modded Valab Dac.

Interesting results; first off every computer and rip sounded different. Understand that in the big picture all these rips sounded great. While the differences where subtle, the best files had bigger dynamic's, inner detail and sence of the "real air" of the recording hall. The biggest surprise was the winner, in the past I always prefered iTunes playback via an Apple Computer. Humm!

1. iTunes .wav rip (Error Correction On, and Laptop Charger disconnected during rip)

2.EAC Rip played back on my PC Laptop (This was the most dynamic visceral sound but lacked ultimate air, perhaps if I had ripped this file without my laptop charger unplugged this file may have floated to the top)

3. EAC Rip on my PC Laptop played back through the iMac (Same file played via Mac Mini was thinner sounding,)

4.Mac Mini .wav rip (Error Correction On) Interesting this rip originally sounded thinner and less involving, but believe it or not, a new iTunes version 8.1 came out while we were doing our tests. After the 8.1 software update this file was our favorite, however this was not to last. Updating to 8.1 on my PC Laptop allowed the above winners. All other combinations failed to fully satisfy and a line was drawn in the sand below #4. There was however clear losers, that being an .Aiff rip on the Mac Mini and .wav rip with my Laptop plugged in.

What does all this mean, well it’s obvious that different computer’s sound different, different rips sound different, different versions of the same software sound different. Ripping on battery power delivered the best sounding rip, at least on my particular Dell 700M Laptop. Good news was that there was no apparent change in sound with playback whether my Laptop was plugged or unplugged.

With my Pace-Car in the circuit path I can safely say jitter was not causing the sound changes. So the only thing left is Software and hardware interaction. It begs the question is Software changing things depending on various power supply interactions inside the computer. Well it obvious there is a major effect when ripping on “my” laptop. Makes me want to run my Mac Mini on battery power when ripping. It also sucks that .wav files sound the best because they lack tagging and that makes moving the files outside of iTunes very difficult.

I really don’t know what I am going to do in light of the above experiment. I do know playing back music via USB opens up a whole nuther can of worms. I discuss my findings with USB in the opening statement.

Further observations to follow.

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 31
Bill. Why didn't you use PLAY for playback during that fest?

As we talked about last week I spent the last 5 years ripping with everything out there. Now Rip in iTunes: AIFF 44.1 error correction/Mac laptop running on battery/ nothing plugged in and no other programs running/make sure no wireless is trying to connect.

So you think 8.1 has a better ripping engine that 8.0?

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 31
zzodhi- the only way I could put all these files on the same playing field was to wirelessly stream using iTunes. "Play" is just for playing around, its a pain in the ass to use just like Foobar. If I want to go to this much trouble to play music I might as well just spin my turntable. It works perfectly everytime!!!

Angsila-interesting post thanks.

Gordon Rankin concludes that hard drive speed for the operating system improves the sound. Well my PC Laptop is the only 7200 RPM drive, my Mac's run at 5400 RPM. But remember before the iTunes 8.1 my Apple Computers always sounded better. There is more going on here besides hard drive speed.

If we could plug ourselves into the Matrix I am sure we find a whole nasty little world of digital trolls sucking the life out of our digital music.

Short of diving straight into Matrix, armed to the teeth, we are stuck on the Nebercanezer planning are next futile move against the machines while eating our gruel.

Where the hell is Neo when you need him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back