Valab Dac-First Impressions
Apr 29, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #1,411 of 1,583
Yeah, I can still read the "Teredak" and "V2.1" under their attempt to mark it out.

I find Pacific Valve's ad pretty amusing, as it suggests that they designed the DAC.

I also like the part about the "clipping reduction circuit"...probably a 330R I/V resistor instead of the 390R that was in the original VALAB. Yep, just noticed the 2.1V output spec, which is right in-line with the 330R resistor.

Nonetheless, the Pacific Valve version is nice, safe option for folks in the US.

Apr 29, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #1,412 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by nixewood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem at all, it's great and better sound then Valab.
k701smile.gif
darthsmile.gif

Can u give us some more impressions vs the valab?? How is the heat ??

Apr 30, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #1,413 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by nixewood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just order a new Gigalab Moon DAC mk2 and the problem is completely solved. It is a dual clock version and the output is more natural and refined, and more importantly it just cost the same as Valab.
tongue_smile.gif

Will someone please post the link to the Gigalab Moon DAC Mk2?

May 2, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #1,416 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by shogo33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Coax / SPDIF re-clock TXCO 1ppm rated at 12 or 33mhz? That seems to be the differentiator between the Valab & Gigalab Moon MK2? Also, not sure if the Moon uses Rubycons as well...

TXCO 1ppm 33.8686mhz

May 3, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #1,420 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by shogo33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure where i've seen this tweak, but someone put some blutac on the TXCO chip. Does damping this with bluetac make a difference to the sound?

I did it out of habit. Then I forgot to put the blu tac back on the DIR9001 after doing the mod. I do know that damping the clock in my NAD made a nice difference. (There is a clock in the DIR9001)

I placed the blu tac on the other chips out of habit. I did have a heatsink on the receiver before the mod but now the wire rises above to top level of the ship and would come into contact with it si I can't put it back. The heatsink damped the DIR9001 more that the blu tac or else the heatsink had a positive effect in drawing away heat.

Thanks for the word. I will pull it open and put the blu tac back.

dac_board.jpg

May 3, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #1,421 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by adam2434 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alpine, is the reclock module part of the base VALAB now, or is it a special option?

I asked about re-clock and Kevin said he had some assembled already. So I suppose in future they will all include it, but better confirm before you order?

May 3, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #1,423 of 1,583
I just got my VALAB from Kevin yesterday. I am using coaxial in from a Squeezebox Duet. Hooked into a Marantz receiver. At first I got a lot of extra hiss in my tweeters. A little more pronounced than I remember having some tubes in my system. I can hear it well within a couple feet of the speakers. There is also some "wave" to the signal - in other words, not just constant hiss but some fluctuation. Now I notice some high pitch hum through the speakers, and the DAC itself hums pretty well. I have it powered through an APC power conditioner and have no other issues with my other components. I hooked directly to the outlet and it did not improve.

Any advice? Did I get a defective unit? I do like my improved sound, but certainly must resolve these issues or I'm sending it back.

MarkG

May 3, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #1,425 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After read all this thread, I think I will stay away from this product.
Too much overheat, and hardware problems.

Thanks for your contribution to this thread!
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back