Valab Dac-First Impressions
Apr 16, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #1,396 of 1,583
Nixewood: You said the clipping problem is solved. Would you be so kind to test the sample track listed on this post (just a few above)
----------------------------- cut & paste -----------------------
In the meantime, here is one, it's ripped in lossless CD quality wma (25Mb):

http://www.issuebroker.com/family/clip.zip

It sounds OK until 4 minutes 38 seconds when all the distortion begins (if you are using CD player -> spdif -> dac or a PC -> spdif -> dac or a PC -> usb -> dac with volume at 100%).
----------------------------------
and let us know if clipping does go away? Thanks!

I am also watching this one on e-bay and wonder if the "re-clock" circuit make any improvement over previous or Valab version (Does Valab 2009 version has this re-clock feature?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nixewood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just order a new Gigalab Moon DAC mk2 and the problem is completely solved. It is a dual clock version and the output is more natural and refined, and more importantly it just cost the same as Valab.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #1,397 of 1,583
Not sure if its worth mentioning here, but i've noticed that the version 2.11 of TeraDak's dac has a fuse located on the side edge of the pcb, but the one's on the Vintage Audio site on ebay sold by Kevin doesnt seem to include this in his March 09 version.

Maybe it will be included in the upcoming version of the dac..

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #1,398 of 1,583
Apr 20, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #1,399 of 1,583
Hi guys,

I was looking at the Vintage Audio site for the valab and came across this. Current crop dac uses the 1ppm TXCO module at 12mhz, but this one can do higher and according to the notes below, it will be used in the upcoming version of the dac! I wonder what benefits it will bring as compared to the older 1ppm module?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Valab 33.8688 & 16.9344 MHz Tempeture Compensated Crystal Oscillator Module
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost all aduio builders know upgrading precision clock in your dac or cd player is most rewarding investment in digital source. So precision crystal Oscillator become so popular parts in audio tweaking market. While you may not know precison clock need very stable and low noise power supply to get right performance. Direct replacement can only obtain marginal benifit of your expensive investent.

Here we supply out clock upgrade module to critical aduo builder. In this module we integrate 2 stage voltage regulaor to supply very clean low noise power to our custom ordered 1ppm tcxo. And after tcxo clock out, we use one 74h163n high speed and low impedance driver for clock signal output. This clock module must be best clock upgrade kit in audio tweaking market. We will also use this module in our great credit NOS 1543 DAC in next version.

Features of this precision clock module:

1. Clock generator : 1ppm 33.8688 MHz TCXO /Waveform: TTL/CMOS / Phase Noise: -125dBc/1KHz /Aging: 2ppm per year.
2. Two stage voltage regulator by TL431 to offer very low noise power to TCXO, which is critical to get frequency stability of TCXO.
3. High speed and low output impedance 74h163n wave buffer for clock signal.
a. It will benifit to get stable and anti noise clock signal.
b. It also supply frequency division, so you can get not only 33.8688 but also 16.9344 and 8.4672 MHz clock signal simutanuously.
3. If your digital system need both frequenc listed above, you can offer two clock from synchronal clock source with minimal jitter.
4. High quality parts used in this module like Phlips BC 036 and 037 capacitor, Dale military resistor and high speed/low noise diode.

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #1,401 of 1,583
Ok, this is not good. Just received mine today and when i powered it up, I've noticed that the unit hums and is noticable from a foot away. I swapped the power cable and tested it at different power points around the house with 5 different power cables and the hum is still there.

I'm assuming that all you units dont hum and this may be a ground loop problem, but i've tested it with almost every different power socket around the house and all my other Hi Fi equipment dont hum. I'll drop Kevin a line about this.

Apr 28, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #1,402 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nixewood: You said the clipping problem is solved. Would you be so kind to test the sample track listed on this post (just a few above)
----------------------------- cut & paste -----------------------
In the meantime, here is one, it's ripped in lossless CD quality wma (25Mb):

http://www.issuebroker.com/family/clip.zip

It sounds OK until 4 minutes 38 seconds when all the distortion begins (if you are using CD player -> spdif -> dac or a PC -> spdif -> dac or a PC -> usb -> dac with volume at 100%).
----------------------------------
and let us know if clipping does go away? Thanks!

I am also watching this one on e-bay and wonder if the "re-clock" circuit make any improvement over previous or Valab version (Does Valab 2009 version has this re-clock feature?)

No problem at all, it's great and better sound then Valab.
k701smile.gif
darthsmile.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #1,406 of 1,583
Hi!

I'm looking for a LDS online dating site. I haven't been able to find many. I've found some christian dating sites,
but I was wondering if there were any sites that were geared towards Later Day Saints religion. It's hard to
find a lot of other LDS online daters wanting to chat - at least, I haven't been able to. Does anyone know of any?

Like I said, I've tried some christian ones, but not really what I'm looking for. I really hope they're out there!

If not a dating site, perhaps any type of chat or group related to LDS.

thanks!

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #1,407 of 1,583
How about LSD dating?
If you took some of that I don't think you'd care if the babe was Christian or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zookigosiny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

I'm looking for a LDS online dating site. I haven't been able to find many. I've found some christian dating sites,
but I was wondering if there were any sites that were geared towards Later Day Saints religion. It's hard to
find a lot of other LDS online daters wanting to chat - at least, I haven't been able to. Does anyone know of any?

Like I said, I've tried some christian ones, but not really what I'm looking for. I really hope they're out there!

thanks!

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #1,408 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zookigosiny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

thanks!

HI!

I'm an atheist. Ok, I'm not really an atheist, I believe in Satan. Satan is good. We should have a threesome with some trashy Gypsy chick.

I WANT TO KILL EVERYONE. SATAN IS GOOD. SATAN IS MY PAL.

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #1,410 of 1,583
Anyways,

I've opened up my Valab, just out of curiousity, and it looks exactly the same as the Pacific Valve's Fathom, psu, pcb, chips, caps all looks the same and in the same position. The only thing that was noticably different is that the "Teradak TDA1543 v2.1" pcb print is on mine whereas on the Pacific Valve's "Teradak" & "v.21" words have been whited out...

But it comes with a power cord and user guide, so maybe it justifies the extra $30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back