Valab Dac-First Impressions
Mar 26, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #1,381 of 1,583
I was wondering if anybody has had any contact w/Kevin in the past week. I've tried multiple times to contact him regarding a dac I returned for a refund at his offer (he received it last Thurs.). Initially, he responded to my e-mails rather quickly, now he seems to have fallen off the earth (well, I hope not). Am I overreacting in my concern?

Mar 26, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #1,382 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by woolybugger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if anybody has had any contact w/Kevin in the past week. I've tried multiple times to contact him regarding a dac I returned for a refund at his offer (he received it last Thurs.). Initially, he responded to my e-mails rather quickly, now he seems to have fallen off the earth (well, I hope not). Am I overreacting in my concern?

Are you contacting him over ebay? Try sending him contact again thorugh the ebay, he might have missed your email
wink.gif

Regarding the 330Ohm version, it still has the distortion. I am taking the time to upload more songs to my web site so that everyone can try them.

From the Dead Can Dance to The Black Hawk Down soundtrack, in every album there is at least one song that is played distorted. I'll have them soon on my web site.

In the meantime, here is one, it's ripped in lossless CD quality wma (25Mb):

http://www.issuebroker.com/family/clip.zip

It sounds OK until 4 minutes 38 seconds when all the distortion begins (if you are using CD player -> spdif -> dac or a PC -> spdif -> dac or a PC -> usb -> dac with volume at 100%).

You can try the same song directly from a CD player or through another DAC and it will play just fine.

Quote:

Dear Sir:
I will focus on this problem. I do not yet have solution to solve that. It seems that always happen on vocal and relatively new recording.

I check datasheet of Philips, this dac do have right configuration. tda1543 is a 30 years old chip. I think it will not play well for some new recording with exceed dynamic range.

Very few recording will have such problem. If you can not tolerate it, I will full refund you.

I decided to live with it, I use squeezebox to set the volume -3dB and I have no problems afterwards
smile_phones.gif
The sound is nice, no complaints there.

I've been reading a bit more about the NOS DAC's... here is a part of the conversation I had with Kevin:

Quote:

Maybe, the problem you have has something to do with pre-emphasized data bit that causes big treble boost? You can read more about the problem here:

Stereophile: 47 Laboratory 4715 D/A processor & 4716 CD transport

"The 4716's data output does pass on the pre-emphasized data flag, but the 4715's minimal analog circuitry means that it cannot provide the necessary de-emphasis. As a result, the small number of pre-emphasized CDs will suffer from a severe treble boost (fig.3, top pair of traces). The vast majority of CDs, however, will be reproduced with a slight top-octave rolloff (fig.3, bottom traces). Channel separation (not shown) was only fair at 55dB (L-R) and 61dB (R-L) at 1kHz."

Kevin is an OK guy, he will find the solution, I'm sure, and the DAC is playing very nice, once you have the volume lowered.

Valab DAC gives life to my music. With the Squeezebox, the musicians are playing in a dark room with no echo, while with the Valab DAC they are playing in a big bright airy concert hall!

Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks, but I like it!
L3000.gif

Regards,
Damir

Mar 29, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #1,386 of 1,583
Here a hint for a Valab DAC audition test.
From the links hereafter you can download by Rapidshare some excellent LP Rips that sound anyway much better then the commercial cd version (these files are oversampled to 24bits/96kHz) that you can burn as cd with 16bits (convert with foobar, apple loseless, nero etc.) or burn oversampled as a DVD-A (with Audio Creator or DVD Audio solo) played with a DVD compatible player as the Oppos and then here the differences. Even if they have been downsampled the cds sound more balanced with the Valab Nos Dac then with my Oppo!

Frank Zappa Hot Rats classic records 200gr. vinyl rip:
AvaxHome -> Frank Zappa - Hot Rats [Classic Records 200g (Quiex SV-P)] 24-bit/96kHz
Elvis Presley - Elvis Is Back! Speakers Corner 180gr. vinyl rip:
AvaxHome -> Elvis Presley - Elvis Is Back! [Speakers Corner 180g LP] 24-bit/96kHz
Louis Armstrong - Plays W.C. Handy [Pure Pleasure 180g DoLP]:
AvaxHome -> Louis Armstrong - Plays W.C. Handy [Pure Pleasure 180g DoLP] 24-bit/96kHz
Jimi Hendrix - Blues [Classic Records (Quiex SV-P) 2*200g]
AvaxHome -> Jimi Hendrix - Blues [Classic Records (Quiex SV-P) 2*200g] 24-bit/96kHz
Nina Simone - Sings The Blues [Speakers Corner 180g LP]
AvaxHome -> Nina Simone - Sings The Blues [Speakers Corner 180g LP] 24-bit/96kHz

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #1,387 of 1,583
Hi, are you all gone here?

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #1,388 of 1,583
Apr 8, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #1,389 of 1,583
Anyone have any impressions of the latest Valab offerings by Kevin...Has he solved the distortion/clipping problems...Does anyone know if he's planning on upgrading this Dac anytime soon....I have a late 2008 model and thinking of getting another new one...

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #1,390 of 1,583
My two cents:

I bought the DAC on the 2nd of April 2009, and it arrived after the Easter holiday (10 days later including the holidays). My order also included a Valab silver digital cable, so my impression is based on the combination of the DAC and the cable.

I bought the Rega Apollo last year and had not been very happy with it, so I sold it 2 months ago and then started the hunting again. I’ve listened to most of the contemporary CD players; from Bryston BCD-1 (very neutral) to YBA Passion 400 (good, really good).

Anyway, most of the CD players have their “house sound”, and that made me thinking of what exactly I have been listening to? Had I been listening to the filters that the audio designer thought was good? Or have I been listening to the records themselves? So my search had leaded me to the approach of a non-oversampling, non-filtering design.

The most famous non-oversampling design is of course the AudioNote DACs, but they are very hard to find and expensive, so naturally I went to eBay and shopping around, then I bought the Valab DAC.

My equipments:

Denon 3930 DVD player (with Audioquest power cable)-> Valab Digital SPDIF -> Valab Non-OS DAC (with Nordost Shiva power cable) -> Analyze Plus Silver Oval interconnects -> Lehmann Audio Linear (with PS Audio Power cable) -> Nordost Red Dawn interconnects -> Bryston 2BSST power amp (with PS Audio power cable) -> Nordost Red Dawn speaker -> Totem Model One signature.

Impressions:

I don’t know whether it is the non-oversampling DAC, or the non-filtering design. The sound coming out from it is the most natural, logical, and cohesive that I have ever heard in my 15 years of audio journey. I think perhaps “rational” is a better word to describe the way it reproduces the sound, and it is the sound stage that has most of the praises from me.

The sound stage is perhaps the strongest capability of this DAC. Listening to the complete symphonic recording of Les Miserables; the way that the sound stage is reproduced, is so “true” and “rational” that my mind does not need to re-adjust and re-position each singer on the stage. Too often you would have heard some equipments that give you a big sound stage, but was that true to the moment when the music is recorded? I don’t like a big sound or small sound, I just want the sound as it was recorded. I don’t want the sound of a guitar scaled like an organ pipe and vise versa. I think most of today’s mid-fi equipments are too busy to impress the buyers by twisting the sound into several imprssions, and wish the buyers can be impressed by those impressions with a 10 minutes audition in a hifi shop. You see these trends by reading the review articles; how many times you’ve seen the word “big”, “bold”, “smooth”, “warm”, “air” when reading the equipment reviews? Each of these characteristics will only distort the sound, and it is the distortions what we base our preference on. True hifi should just reproduce the music as close to the way the record engineer’s intention, and the musician’s expression.

Sorry to be off topic.. ☺, back to the DAC:

The frequency response is very too, and from my memory, it is up there with players like Cyrus CD8VS, or Arcam CD36. Both Cyrus and Arcam have their house sound, so either you like the house sound or not. Arcam is a bit more neutral than the Cyrus, but Cyrus has a better sound stage. The Cyrus is a bit faster than the Arcam.

Compare with YBA Passion 400, well, the Passion 400 is ….. very, very good. The YBA sounds very neutral good (almost like the Valab or vice versa), but the YBA has that magical mid frequency sweetness that is like a good bottle of white wine fermented in a traditional French oak barrel. I personally prefer the YBA sound, but in terms of neutrality, Valab has the upper hand. Please note that the Passion 400 costs almost 30 time more than the Valab, so an honorable comparison IMO.

Compare with Rega Apollo, well it is no comparison, at all. Not Rega’s fault, I just don’t like the Rega sound anymore.

Headphone listening pretty much matches the impression of speaker listening, my headphone is the ER4S, yes, by now you probably know that I like only the neutral sound.

So to my last comment, I think this DAC deserves a pair of very good interconnects, something like the Cardas Golden Reference, to keep its sound stage as intact as possible. If that means having a pair of interconnects that is more expensive than the DAC the let it be. The sound stage alone is priceless for me.

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #1,391 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraDak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because of this clipping issue, we stop shipping DAC to Kevin for a couple of days. The new shipping will not have such a clipping issue. We have learned a valuable lesson from it.

Maybe we didn't have the opportunities to listen the real 0-db signal, so we didn't find this clipping issue. If your listening materials don't include much 0-db signal as us, you may skip this issue.

I just order a new Gigalab Moon DAC mk2 and the problem is completely solved. It is a dual clock version and the output is more natural and refined, and more importantly it just cost the same as Valab.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #1,393 of 1,583
I have to agree with planar on the sound stage.
I have poor imaging speaker, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 V2, so I never expect much in the way of instrument placement.
With the VALAB the spread is "rational", heavy strings on the right, violins on the left, horns placed where the seats are expected, percussion arrayed far back with bells/triangles to my left. It was pleasant to hear that display last night on Mahler's 1st.

To be able to make a clear and effortless display of the orchestra thru the Paradigms is making me now look around for better imaging speakers to get in on what I have been missing.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #1,394 of 1,583
Does anyone else hear a loud clicking sound thru their speakers when turning Valab On & Off? This is a great DAC but I've upgraded to something I like a little bit more. I'm selling the unit I purchased in January 2009 on Audiogon and, in the spirit of full disclosure, I've mentioned the loud clicks I hear related to the on and off function. I'm assuming this is not a defect per se, but just related to the budget-oriented design of the Valab? Am I correct?

Thanks,
Audiohound

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #1,395 of 1,583
I received a replacement unit today, since my previous one was defective. This one I hooked up with a Stax SRM-1/Mk-2, a pair of Stax lambda Pro and a portable Sony CD-player with optical out. I didn`t have time to listen for a long time, but my first impression was very good! I listened to a collection of songs by Willie Nelson and it was pure pleasure to listen to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back