Valab Dac-First Impressions
Mar 16, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #1,351 of 1,583
14380d1235046217-valab-dac-first-impressions-valab9mod1.jpg

I also want to try some polypropylene caps, but I'm not sure how much noise those thin unshielded wires will pick, being so close to the power supply.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #1,352 of 1,583
Clean installation. I'm still not sold on the ultimate cap that are those that will fit inside the case.

Has anyone worked with vibration control pads/grommet on the dac board? Pulling it tight with the case doesn't seem the best. Vibration from the trans can still transfer from the connections going to the board.

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #1,353 of 1,583
No, the ultimate cap is probably HUGE. But a good to excellent foil cap takes the DAC a long long way from stock. Can't say ultimate, though. Re-chassis-ing is a drag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzodhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clean installation. I'm still not sold on the ultimate cap that are those that will fit inside the case.

Has anyone worked with vibration control pads/grommet on the dac board? Pulling it tight with the case doesn't seem the best. Vibration from the trans can still transfer from the connections going to the board.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #1,354 of 1,583
Gotten the latest and greatest 2009 version from Kelvin. Initial impressions comparing the 2008 and 2009 is that 2009 sounds more airy (wider soundstage) and is more musical than the 2008 version.

Sad to say clipping still does occur when listening to songs like ( Don't Know Why by Norah Jones ). While another Dac which I tested, DAC7010, performed flawlessly.

Overall the 2009 version is a great improvement from the 2008. Though I hope the designer of the Valab dac (Teradak) can do some thing to remove the clipping, which is still present in their latest version 2.1.

Well is 200 USD worth it? I guess its up to individual, to weigh the pros and cons. For me I am loving the non-fatigue, musical and analogue sounding of this NOS dac, while some times the clipping can get quite irritating.

Cheers~

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #1,355 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by crumplertm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotten the latest and greatest 2009 version from Kelvin. Initial impressions comparing the 2008 and 2009 is that 2009 sounds more airy (wider soundstage) and is more musical than the 2008 version.

Sad to say clipping still does occur when listening to songs like ( Don't Know Why by Norah Jones ). While another Dac which I tested, DAC7010, performed flawlessly.

Overall the 2009 version is a great improvement from the 2008. Though I hope the designer of the Valab dac (Teradak) can do some thing to remove the clipping, which is still present in their latest version 2.1.

Well is 200 USD worth it? I guess its up to individual, to weigh the pros and cons. For me I am loving the non-fatigue, musical and analogue sounding of this NOS dac, while some times the clipping can get quite irritating.

Do you have the version with the lower value resistor?

I would hate to get the version that still clips when using a CD player as a transport, after all the explanations we made.
angry_face.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #1,356 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcolak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have the version with the lower value resistor?

I would hate to get the version that still clips when using a CD player as a transport, after all the explanations we made.
angry_face.gif

I will do a check on the resistor value and get back to you. Just for additional information, I am using the USB connector on this dac.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #1,357 of 1,583
Quote:

I will do a check on the resistor value and get back to you. Just for additional information, I am using the USB connector on this dac.

Thanks!

By the way, if you lower the volume in the Foobar or whatever application you are using, does the clipping disappear (it should)?

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #1,358 of 1,583
After digging around from the previous post here (havent been reading this thread lately) I found that this post best describes the design that is in the dac that I just received.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
p2190093sj3.jpg

By philltubes, shot with FE190/X750 at 2009-02-19

Should be (the 2 blue resistors) to the left and right of the black ferrites. As Michael explained, the resistors don't even have to be removed just add a 3.3k or 3.6k resistor in parralel to the existing resistors. The picture shows the 2009 version.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #1,359 of 1,583
Quote:

Thanks!

By the way, if you lower the volume in the Foobar or whatever application you are using, does the clipping disappear (it should)?

After lowering the volume in foobar to -3 dB the clipping is gone.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #1,360 of 1,583
Quote:

After digging around from the previous post here (havent been reading this thread lately) I found that this post best describes the design that is in the dac that I just received.

It seems that you got the non-fixed version.

I ordered mine a couple of days ago, hopefully it will be with the correct resistors.

I'll keep you informed
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #1,361 of 1,583
Quote:

It seems that you got the non-fixed version.

I ordered mine a couple of days ago, hopefully it will be with the correct resistors.

I'll keep you informed
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh sure thanks for the information..hope to hear from you when you received yours =)

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #1,363 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by prog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
14380d1235046217-valab-dac-first-impressions-valab9mod1.jpg

I also want to try some polypropylene caps, but I'm not sure how much noise those thin unshielded wires will pick, being so close to the power supply.

No noise at all, even because the PSU is exactly on the opposite side.

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #1,365 of 1,583
Hi everyone,

I have been reading this thread with much interest, but was left with a question regarding the input options. Is it possible to simultaneously use both the USB and the optical input?
TeraDak posted the following:
"The USB input priority is higher than the other coaxial/optical input."

Does this mean that the optical input won't work at all when USB input is connected or that the optical input is disrupted when there is USB input signal?
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back