Valab Dac-First Impressions
Mar 6, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #1,246 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraDak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those concering the clipping issue.
We current use a 390R resistor for the i/v conversion and it will output 2.19V at the full range audio data. It is impossible to listen the 0-db audio signal from the DAC , to pre/power amplifier and to speaker without any attenuation. It the source doesn't exceed -3db, there will be no clipping issue. However, if you would like to attenuate the signal in the preamplifier and keep the range as full as possible and without clipping. The i/v resistor in the TDA1543 output should be lowered to 340R ~ 350R to avoid clipping. The clipping issue is just a tradeoff for signal attenuation and it depends on the user listening condition. We will show the picture for analog output with i/v resistor 340R ~ 350R. For signal analysis, it should be 340R~ 350R, but it may not be the best for users in most real listening conditions.

(1) For user using the original 390R resistor, if you care about the clipping issue, you can reduce the resistor to 340R ~ 350R without loss the audio quality. If you don't have 340R ~ 350R resistor at hand ( 340R ~ 350R resistor is difficult to buy), you can parallel a 3.3k or 3.6k on the original 390R resistor. However, a 330R resistor is good aslo. The main difference is the maximum output voltage when a 0db signal is input.

(2) After that, connect the USB line to our DAC and repeat playing a 1kHz 0DB sine wave in PC. The wave could also be downloaded form our share space ( Public - Windows Live )
Use a meter and set it to measure AC voltage segment. Measure the RCA output or our DAC. The AC output is approximate 2.0V initially. Trim the VR nearby TDA1543 to find the maximum AC output. We usually trim the VR with the help of scope. But a meter is also good enough for tuning. If you have a scope, you can trim the VR such that the sine-wave is the most symmetric. The most symmetric output implies the maximum AC output in a meter.

The second step can be skipped it there is no meter or scope at hand. There is only few difference after step (2) adjustment.
/********************** Notice **********************/
The most important should be noticed is the VR trimming should be after the DAC power-on 30 mins. After that, the DAC will be in a stable state for adjustment. In the first 30 min, the TDA1543 was not in a stable stage. Trimming in the unstable state is no use.
/**********************************************/

The problem exists on both SPDIF and USB?

How can we get -3dB if we are using a CD player as a source?

Will the future versions of Valab address the issue and stop clipping if the source is not attenuated?

All the fuss began because I wanted to buy a Valab DAC and was afraid it would clip just as the two Gigalab Moon DAC's I had.

If you have one that does not clip, I will buy it at once!
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #1,247 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angsila /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we all know where you are coming from now.

Where am I coming from?
biggrin.gif

I forgot to mention that I also have Gigalabs Moon DAC.
L3000.gif

The combination of Gigalabs Moon DAC, NuForce Icon (as an amplifier) and JBL S312II is... well... really good!

The only problem is, I cannot use the DAC with my CD player or squeezebox (without attenuating the signal) because of the clipping, so, I don't get to enjoy the DAC in my main system with Klipsch RF83 and two NAD C370 as monoblocks
frown.gif

That's why I wanted to buy me a Valab DAC, thinking, it won't clip. Unfortunately, it shares the same problem that Gigalabs Moon DAC has.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #1,248 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcolak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where am I coming from?
biggrin.gif

That's why I wanted to buy me a Valab DAC, thinking, it won't clip. Unfortunately, it shares the same problem that Gigalabs Moon DAC has.

Replace the 390 ohm resistor for a 330 ohm and all your problems are over.
Teradak's explanation and instructions are correct.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #1,249 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by adriaan243 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Replace the 390 ohm resistor for a 330 ohm and all your problems are over.
Teradak's explanation and instructions are correct.

I'm not an electronics engineer. I have no idea how to do it.

Pictures would be most appreciated.

Where is exactly the resistor? How does it look like?

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #1,251 of 1,583
Quote:

I'm not an electronics engineer. I have no idea how to do it.

Pictures would be most appreciated.

Where is exactly the resistor? How does it look like?

Same here. Detailed instructions please! Or I can pay someone here to do it for me?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #1,252 of 1,583
p2190093sj3.jpg

By philltubes, shot with FE190/X750 at 2009-02-19

Should be (the 2 blue resistors) to the left and right of the black ferrites. As Michael explained, the resistors don't even have to be removed just add a 3.3k or 3.6k resistor in parralel to the existing resistors. The picture shows the 2009 version.

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #1,253 of 1,583
Because of this clipping issue, we stop shipping DAC to Kevin for a couple of days. The new shipping will not have such a clipping issue. We have learned a valuable lesson from it.

Maybe we didn't have the opportunities to listen the real 0-db signal, so we didn't find this clipping issue. If your listening materials don't include much 0-db signal as us, you may skip this issue.

Quote:

The problem exists on both SPDIF and USB?

How can we get -3dB if we are using a CD player as a source?

Will the future versions of Valab address the issue and stop clipping if the source is not attenuated?

All the fuss began because I wanted to buy a Valab DAC and was afraid it would clip just as the two Gigalab Moon DAC's I had.

If you have one that does not clip, I will buy it at once!
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #1,254 of 1,583
Let us know when the new batch is ready for shipping.
L3000.gif

They will be available at: vintage_audio_lab on Ebay?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeraDak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because of this clipping issue, we stop shipping DAC to Kevin for a couple of days. The new shipping will not have such a clipping issue. We have learned a valuable lesson from it.

Maybe we didn't have the opportunities to listen the real 0-db signal, so we didn't find this clipping issue. If your listening materials don't include much 0-db signal as us, you may skip this issue.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #1,255 of 1,583
Is it normal to get hiss on it after some time playing? Oddly enough I get the hiss with my Heed Canamp but not my pimeta amp. However on my elite pro or keces dac it´s the ultimate silence always.

I do like how it sounds but well these quirks really lower the value of it. Even at 200$ you should be able to demand a virtually totally silent DAC.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #1,256 of 1,583
Quote:

Let us know when the new batch is ready for shipping.
L3000.gif

They will be available at: vintage_audio_lab on Ebay?

It is really not necessary to buy a new Valab for this distortion problem.
The instruction Tubes gave is very clear, I would advise 2k2 ohm, it is a bit safer, for a total of 330 ohm.
Any friend or neighbour familiar with soldering can do it or you could go to a TV repair shop and ask them to do it,it is 5 minutes work.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #1,257 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it normal to get hiss on it after some time playing? Oddly enough I get the hiss with my Heed Canamp but not my pimeta amp. However on my elite pro or keces dac it´s the ultimate silence always.

I do like how it sounds but well these quirks really lower the value of it. Even at 200$ you should be able to demand a virtually totally silent DAC.

It IS totally silent.
Whyle listening to music you will not hear any clipping.
I already tried 330Ohm resistors, and I liked more the 390R (listening to music, not sine waves..)

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #1,258 of 1,583
can one of you that has done this post a nice clean pic like the last one showing the added parallel resistors so us low-techs don't have to worry about being more dangerous than smart
wink_face.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #1,259 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinshardhat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can one of you that has done this post a nice clean pic like the last one showing the added parallel resistors so us low-techs don't have to worry about being more dangerous than smart
wink_face.gif

You see the two blue resistors on previously posted pic, right? Just solder the added parallel resistor "parallel" to those. Solder in the same spots where the original ones are. Of course without removing the original ones.

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #1,260 of 1,583
I'm not doing the mod to my dac, I like it just fine the way it is, I don't hear clipping. To answer your question, all you have to do is neatly wrap the legs of the added on resistor partially around the legs of the existing resistor to hold it securely in place then solder it, basically you are piggy backing the resistors. For a nice clean solder wipe the legs down with some alcohol first. Of course you could just change out the resistor for the appropriate value which in my mind is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back