Valab Dac-First Impressions
Mar 4, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #1,203 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received a response from Valab. Briefly, he explained that the output range is purposely set "higher than normal" to overcome NOS DAC's "narrow dynamic sound" and smaller soundstage. But some records with very high output will clip. According to his experience, this should be rare. Also, he indicated if this is not acceptable to me, he would be happy to refund in full.

Sorry I have been trying to contact Valab for a week with no luck as I don't get ANY sound at all.

This really sh1ts me!

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #1,204 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by microzyma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received an email from Kevin:

This dac set up to have higher output. You can change i/v resistor to 340-Ohm to get lower output. Clipping will be removed

Double sh1ts

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #1,207 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by erin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why on earth would Valab deliberately release a product that has clipping as a normal function???????????????????????????
Just totally bizzare!!

as they said: "to overcome NOS DAC's "narrow dynamic sound" and smaller soundstage."
smily_headphones1.gif
which to me sounds a bit unprofessional. I'm not a professional in electronics so I wouldn't know for sure, but anyway.

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #1,208 of 1,583
Frankly my TDA1541 CDP does not have a "narrow dynamic sound" it must just be the TDA1543 that suffers from this issue, but hang on, ive got an old sony CDP that has a TDA1543 and it doesnt have a "narrow dynamic sound" either - its got an active output though. I think its quite unprofessional. Experimental in my oppinion. Like I wrote earlier, I think it may need more DAC's parralled to get enough current to give decent output.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #1,209 of 1,583
adriaan243;5483647 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcolak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget that it appeared also when used SPDIF output of a soundcard to drive Valab!
wink.gif
It's not only USB, SPDIF is the same.

SPDIF using Windows is not the same as SPDIF using a CD player.
Using a CD player SPDIF is pure and unmanipulated 16 bit 44.1 khz.
A computer may even resample your precious audio and do you really know what happens during level changes.

It is the same using Squeezebox and a CD player. Squeezebox does give a bitperfect output too.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #1,210 of 1,583
Help needed:

can someone check the voltage values out of the main transformer?
I have two dac, same batch.
One shows 10V from the transformer. The other shows 19V!
They both work, but the second one (the 19V one) gets the heatsink on the regulators extremely hot (of course!).
Can someone check what values he measures there, just before the diodes..? (or even n the 3 1000uF capacitors after the diodes: 11VDC or 19VDC?)
Thanks in advance.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #1,211 of 1,583
hmmm, Seem slike much is left to chance if I go for one of these.

Should I buy now or wait?

I had set my mind to one of these
frown.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #1,212 of 1,583
well mine is okay for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #1,213 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well mine is okay for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

And you bought yours recently?

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #1,214 of 1,583
And mine is a 09 version and as I said, it only clips on test tones with maximum output volume settings in Foobar or Vista Control Panel. I have yet to run into a CD track with audible clipping.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #1,215 of 1,583
Hi,

I have two Valab DACS, one Christmas 08 series and the other, the new 09 revised board series. Both worked as advertised w/o a hitch and oh so musical. I am alternating between optical and coaxial and both sound wonderful if slightly different. Have not tried USB at this point. A friend bought an 09 version on my recommendation and experienced no downside as well.

That said, I hope the noise issue reported by some will be resolved quickly so we can move on to enjoying music with this wonderful DAC.

Kevin: please take care of these folks and all will be well again.

Kenobi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back