Valab Dac-First Impressions
Mar 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #1,171 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Valab uses 390R for the DAC i/v resistor, which will make the DAC output maximum 2.19V. In some systems, this high voltage may produce clipping. In this case, the i/v resistor could be changed to 330R to reduce the DAC maximum output voltage to 1.8 V.

Can someone verify this (and maybe post the pictures)?
smily_headphones1.gif

It would be a nice solution to all our problems with the distortion
smile.gif

Edit: I tried the DAC with NAD C370, Trends TA10.1 and Icon NuForce - it was clipping on all of them.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #1,172 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcolak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to:

Start->Control Panel->Sound->Select USB Audio->Properties->Advanced

soundtest.jpg

Turn up just a little bit your amp, so that you can hear the sound.

Hit the TEST button.

What did you hear?
wink.gif

By the way, you should use foobar at 100% and control the volume with your amplifier, that is the best way to listen to the music from PC - regarding the noise level and the resolution (16bit?).

With foobar at just 30% you're forced to turn up the volume on your amplifier much more than it is necessary with the foobar at 100% and the amp's noise floor becomes more prominent.

Really, it is more than normal to have your foobar at 100%, but, with Valab and Gigalabs moon dac it gives you a nice quantity of distortion.

I tried your test and found that I only had 16 bits 44100 and 16 bits 48000. No 24 bit option for me.

As for the volume at 100% in foobar I did notice mild clipping.
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #1,173 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by crumplertm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried your test and found that I only had 16 bits 44100 and 16 bits 48000. No 24 bit option for me.

As for the volume at 100% in foobar I did notice mild clipping.
confused_face_2.gif

I'm sorry to hear that. We all have the same problem, I guess.

Regarding 16/24bit, it is ok, I also have only 16bit with the original Windows driver. It is distorting with the 24bit too...

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #1,174 of 1,583
Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that. We all have the same problem, I guess.

Regarding 16/24bit, it is ok, I also have only 16bit with the original Windows driver. It is distorting with the 24bit too...

Seems like an inherent problem with the design.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #1,175 of 1,583
Quote:

Can someone verify this (and maybe post the pictures)?
smily_headphones1.gif

It would be a nice solution to all our problems with the distortion
smile.gif

Edit: I tried the DAC with NAD C370, Trends TA10.1 and Icon NuForce - it was clipping on all of them.

I second.
Also, it would be interesting to hear from those who modded their Valab DAC extensively and see if clipping still exists...

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #1,176 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second.
Also, it would be interesting to hear from those who modded their Valab DAC extensively and see if clipping still exists...

the heavily modded ones were from earlier batch/revision. This clipping/distortion seems to be flaw of the recent batch. someone said QC does not negate everything, but it does render this batch quite unstable and one would not recommend buying this before valab addresses the problems. Is it QC or design flaw, I do not really care, anyhow I will not consider this DAC before these issues are solved. My opinion, my money.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #1,177 of 1,583
What I posted earlier about the resistor value was what I received in response to an E-Mail I sent the MFR. of the Valab. The 2.19v output with the 390R in place is similar to other dacs on the market so changing to the 330R is not a magic bullet to cure the problems with distortion but may help in certain systems. I know that using a PC opens a can of worms I don't want to get into but the use of a CD player as transport should not produce distortion.

I'm just curious but how many hours do you guy's have on the dac that are having distortion problems?

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #1,178 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I posted earlier about the resistor value was what I received in response to an E-Mail I sent the MFR. of the Valab. The 2.19v output with the 390R in place is similar to other dacs on the market so changing to the 330R is not a magic bullet to cure the problems with distortion but may help in certain systems. I know that using a PC opens a can of worms I don't want to get into but the use of a CD player as transport should not produce distortion.

I'm just curious but how many hours do you guy's have on the dac that are having distortion problems?

Hm, I have months of use
L3000.gif
- Gigalabs Moon DAC, returned one, got another from the MFR. with the same problem. Thought of Valab, because they share the design, wanted to see if it suffers from the same problem before ordering one. Alas, it does.

It clips not only with a cd player, but with the squeezebox as well... The solution with the squeezebox is the same used on a PC, lowering volume in the digital domain.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #1,179 of 1,583
Those of you who have heard distortion using Valab with CD/DVD transport, please post your testing CDs and specific tracks so that the rest of us can try to see if the same problem exists in ours? Thanks.
As I said, I have not heard from other cases except PC/C-media/Windows Vista test sound/USB/Valab. (oh, does the test sound from Control Panel go through Foobar?)

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #1,180 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrCal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those of you who have heard distortion using Valab with CD/DVD transport, please post your testing CDs and specific tracks so that the rest of us can try to see if the same problem exists in ours? Thanks.
As I said, I have not heard from other cases except PC/C-media/Windows Vista test sound/USB/Valab. (oh, does the test sound from Control Panel go through Foobar?)

Don't forget that it appeared also when used SPDIF output of a soundcard to drive Valab!
wink.gif
It's not only USB, SPDIF is the same.

I'll try to get and upload a couple of MP3's that distort clearly (wavs distort just as much).

Control Panel goes directly to DAC (over USB and/or SPDIF), no foobar in between.

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #1,181 of 1,583
Dcolak, you've had this problem with 3 dacs now, do you get distortion with the output of the Squeezbox or the CD player? What's the rest of your system, it seems strange that you get distortion with 3 dacs. Do you get distortion if you take the PC out of the system and just use the CD player as a transport into the Valab or Gigalab?

BTW, people that have modded their dacs never mentioned hearing clipping before or after modification.

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #1,183 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Jump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear all, I was hoping someone may be able to help me out.

My Valab DAC has never worked (see thread last Tuesday). I have emailed Kevin at Valab 3 times since then about returning the unit and I have not yet received a reply.

Does anyone know if Kevin reads this thread or is anyone in regular contact with him? If so could you ask Kevin to make an effort to get back to me.

I was thinking to post it back anyway as there is an address on the mail, however I can't read the numerals on the address/zip code and I am reluctant to send it back without prior agreement with Valab.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sad to hear that.
frown.gif

I thought of buying a VALAB, but reading about nonfunctional units and clipping I think not.

Hope you will be sorted out.

I got a respons after 24 hours by contacting him through ebay

,Stian

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #1,185 of 1,583
for people looking for a "test" track, if your using Foobar on a PC there is simple answer, foobar's built in tone generator. Goto Add location, then type tone://40 in the field, this will generate a pure 40 hz tone, makes it extremely easy to hear the distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back