Valab Dac-First Impressions
Jan 3, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #391 of 1,583
Just be patient, they are listed on E-bay as they become available, keep checking, it's the only place to order one from as far as I know. They go pretty fast when they are listed.

Phill

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #392 of 1,583
AT LAST! my new (1PPM) Valab must be burned in for it is sure sounding GREAT now . i can hardly believe the change .
I am no longer worried about the lack 2 brown caps !! LOL
compared to the 20PPM version the
1PPMs soundstage has opened even further and is more defined, speed ,frequency extremes and detail also improved, vocals have a spooky realism ,breath of life stuff.
even the bass improved ,does subterranean depth and so well controlled.
This dac is a real gem and a keeper, i can see (hear) why there is now a wait for them !
Just put it on repeat for a week before you judge it , and give it the best cables you can find.
Great job Kevin / Valab !
yeah ,i like :)

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #393 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kevin emailed that he would have the $180 Valab DAC re-listed on eBay a few days ago.
I have been searching eBay all week with no Valab DAC in sight.
I was under the impression that Kevin had too many orders to fill.
I'm almost temped to order some other DAC.
How did you get an order in?

Where can it be ordered?
smily_headphones1.gif

I had the very same experience. After running through this thread and what feels like innumerable others, I had settled on the Valab, just in time for all the listings to disappear. I emailed Kevin, and he told me exactly what he told you. And just like you I began doing my ebay search constantly. I was about to give up and go with a Keces 131.1. A couple of days ago, I was perusing Kevin's other offerings, and inquired about his interconnects, and which of them would be best for running the signal out of the Wadia iTransport into the Valab. Kevin so advised, offered the same price that was up previously for the DAC/cable combo, a pretty good deal it seems to me, and he put the listing up. I hit BIN. Based on our correspondence, it sounds like he is catching back up. Stay tuned.

Jan 4, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #394 of 1,583
Yes, you can surely tell when the Valab finally breaks in, there's no mistaking the improvement. You have to be patient and put up with the objections in sound quality you might have during the break in then it comes out the other side sounding wonderful, then you can decide if it's your cup of tea, and yes it is a fine cup of tea IMO.

Phill

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #396 of 1,583
How many hours must the Valab be played in before it sounds good?

Did someone try his digital interconnect too?

Kevin listed today 10 new dacs and 4 are just sold in few hours!

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #397 of 1,583
Hi some questions for those who bought the dac. How does Kelvin (seller) contact the buyer after a successful payment? I notice that he mentioned to assign which version (US or UK) model after ordering, however there were no means such as a dialogue box for assigning the version after ordering. Also does he provide tracking number for the buyer to track the shipment status?

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #398 of 1,583
Quote:

Originally Posted by Historicus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many hours must the Valab be played in before it sounds good?

Did someone try his digital interconnect too?

Kevin listed today 10 new dacs and 4 are just sold in few hours!

And then there was one. That's all that is showing this morning.

I have an order for the DAC and an interconnect. Looking forward to trying it.

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #399 of 1,583
When I bought mine, Kevin sends you a message at E-bay thanking you for the purchase and provides an EMS tracking #. It may take a few days to ship out, he runs the Dac through a burn in to make sure they are operating properly, according to Kevin he can only test 3 dacs a day so be patient. In the US they are delivered by the postal service.

In the past the Dac would take approx. 180 hours or longer to break in, you'll know it when you hear it. It's still fun to listen to during break in it just sounds a little rougher and less coherent but still lets you hear some of the good stuff to come. Congrats on your purchase.

I already had several digital cables so I can't comment on Kevins cord. I will tell you that I tried a toslink cable against the coax and slightly prefer the toslink but thats during break in, I may feel differently after break in. I ordered a 6 ft toslink from monoprice.com for the rediculous price of $5.98 shipped, yes that is not a typo, for that price it's a no brainer and worth having.

Phill

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #400 of 1,583
BTW, Kevin will look at your shipping address and send you the correct voltage dac. If your nervous about it just send him a message through E-bay telling him what you need.

Phill

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #401 of 1,583
I have ordered the DAC together with the coaxial digital interconnect of Kevin, hope it arrives soon here in Europe.
I'll test The NOS DAC with a Sony SACD the elder SCD-777ES as pure cd mechanics (about 30kg weight) or an Oppo DV-980H (I'm curious which will fit better), all combined with an Audio Note M3 Phono tube preamplifier. The speakers will be B&W 801 Matrix III as a sort of asiatic/britt' fusion!
Many thanks Phill for your answer.
Under the analogues interconnects offered by Kevin the Magic Box Silver Analog Interconnect with the 2 transformers fascinate me. Did someone try them and are all the showed sound improvements real? I saw another topic here but the few postings showed lots of prejudices against chines products of this type.

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #402 of 1,583
Edited thanks Phill

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phill
BTW, Kevin will look at your shipping address and send you the correct voltage dac. If your nervous about it just send him a message through E-bay telling him what you need.

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #403 of 1,583
Finally grabbed one! Hope it has good synergy with my CKKIII.
k701smile.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #404 of 1,583
Im grabbed to!!. Time to listen music....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back