Valab Dac-First Impressions
Jul 6, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #1,576 of 1,583
Does anyone know if USB implementation is synchronous (adaptive) or asynchronous???

Maybe someone mentioned it already, but search engine doesn't yield results for me.
BTW: I'm using the socalled "Luxury Version" of the Valab 1543 which must be more or less the same as the TeraDak 3.1D (or 31D ?).

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #1,577 of 1,583
To the Valab fans. a few quick questions

do you think this dac compliments the HD650 well? i keep hearing about how detailed and spacious it is but i'm wondering if thats a good thing? This will be amped by my LD MKIV

also i was also concidering getting the audio gd nfb-3 any thoughts on how the 2 compares? 

lastly what do people think about the luxury version. is it work the $60 extra?

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #1,580 of 1,583
Hi guys im a lurker. This is my mod to a Teradak version 2.8.

I tried to put Mundorf 8.2uf caps. I love the bass, mids, dynamics and 3D spaciousness. The sound however is tilted to the high side.
What are the options I can do to warm it up? (without replacing the Mundorf, if possible please!)

Many thanks in advance!

Pic of the huge Mundorf cap -- http://i.imgur.com/RAm4RAxl.jpg

Jun 28, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #1,581 of 1,583
2019 - Just took ownership of a second-hand Teradak 3.1D NOS DAC for a little over 100 Aussie dollars. So far, impressive sounding unit!

Let's see if there is any life left in this thread! :D

nightking.gif

Jun 28, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #1,582 of 1,583
Good to hear you found and are enjoying your Valab Dac. Still using mine for about a decade now.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/valab-nos-dac-subjective-listening-and-modifications.413540/
With the information provided by the people active on the above linked thread, I did some modifications, added an external power supply for the dac chips, plus a couple other changes. Added power conditioner and usb isolator.
Seriously Love that little Dac, maybe mostly because the linked thread walked me through improvements i could do.
Great educational project that has brought me years of quality music reproduction.
Not sure what happened to this thread, this site doing a major format overhaul as well as the limited bitrate of the td541 chips are probably both to blame for the end to what was a great little group.

Jun 28, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #1,583 of 1,583
Good to hear you found and are enjoying your Valab Dac. Still using mine for about a decade now.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/valab-nos-dac-subjective-listening-and-modifications.413540/
With the information provided by the people active on the above linked thread, I did some modifications, added an external power supply for the dac chips, plus a couple other changes. Added power conditioner and usb isolator.
Seriously Love that little Dac, maybe mostly because the linked thread walked me through improvements i could do.
Great educational project that has brought me years of quality music reproduction.
Not sure what happened to this thread, this site doing a major format overhaul as well as the limited bitrate of the td541 chips are probably both to blame for the end to what was a great little group.
Man, the mid range is clear as day! I was expecting perhaps a warmer, soupy mix of distortion but it stays pretty black and composed! Vocals jump out like crazy, you really get sucked in to the music and to be honest, the USB implementation holds up pretty damn good!

My first NOS DAC was and still use my Halide Devilsound and always felt it produced beautiful music, the Teradak is clearer and perhaps better sound separation! Highs are perfect for me but I find the bass is tight and decent weight behind it!

Thanks for replying mate, I'm digging this DAC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back