VAIO VGC-RA834G 3.6GHz
May 3, 2005 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Nikos

100+ Head-Fier
VAIO VGC-RA834G 3.6GHz processor 1GB RAM 400GB hard drive

I am thinking of getting this desktop.

I like to have a computer where I can do some video editing, audio editing, and also photo editing.

I like to have a computer that is also very fast and powerful, where I can multi task on it by using the net, listening to music, while also editing photos.

Is this a good computer in that respect

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...SON+VGC-RA834G

Thanks in advance

May 3, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 19
why not build your own computer? its much cheaper and more fun

May 3, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 19
You could build yourself a computer significantly better than that one for the same price (or less).

May 3, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 19
its really simple. 1st build will take you around an hour or two because you have to be careful.

May 4, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 19
building a computer yourself isnt as hard as it sounds. there are hundreds of guides floating around on the web that gives you step by step instructions on how to build one. you not only save money, but you also learn many things in the process.

if you're really stuck, you can always post questions here on Head-Fi. many of us here are knowledgeable enough to help you on your project.

May 4, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #10 of 19
mine was built by myself when i was 13. its not nearly as hard as ppl think. think of it as a big thing of lego's

now a days everything is plug and play anyway, things only fit one way and everything is labled. a starting build (no water cooling or fancy stuff) can be assembled in under three hours if your careful and will save you hundreds of dollars.

for hardware i would buy whatever you can from newegg.com. their prices are great, shipping is cheap and fast and their great about problematic hardware and returns.

May 4, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 19
Intell 3.6 Ghz processor: $379
Corsair 1gig pc3200 Ram: $81
Segate Barricuda 250 Gig SATA Hard drive: $186 (x2)
sony DVD burner 16x Dual layer: $54
Geforce 6600 AGP8x 500mhz Video card: $135
11 in 1 card reader: $15
SEASONIC SUPER TORNADO 400W Power Supply: $85
ABIT AS8-3rd ATX Intel Motherboard: $99
you still need a case with that setup but you'll have to choose your own. they run from $20 to $300
also youll spend about $25 on fans

which brings the total to... $1245 for about $800 worth of savings

May 4, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
Intell 3.6 Ghz processor: $379
Corsair 1gig pc3200 Ram: $81
Segate Barricuda 250 Gig SATA Hard drive: $186 (x2)
sony DVD burner 16x Dual layer: $54
Geforce 6600 AGP8x 500mhz Video card: $135
11 in 1 card reader: $15
SEASONIC SUPER TORNADO 400W Power Supply: $85
ABIT AS8-3rd ATX Intel Motherboard: $99
you still need a case with that setup but you'll have to choose your own. they run from $20 to $300
also youll spend about $25 on fans

which brings the total to... $1245 for about $800 worth of savings

Plus you'll need an operating system.

May 4, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 19
If you feel uncomfortable just buy one. You can't get technical support if you build your own and you have no warranty unless you know how to figure out which part is causing problems. First time builders run the risk of static or damage to the parts especially mounting the CPU. Personally I would never buy a prebuilt one but if time and patience is lacking I don't see anything wrong with buying one.

May 4, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #14 of 19
i wouldnt say that 1st time builders mess up. i would say only those who cant follow simple instructions mess up. just take your time and its gonna be fine. may be you can ask someone to help you.

May 4, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

If you feel uncomfortable just buy one. You can't get technical support if you build your own and you have no warranty unless you know how to figure out which part is causing problems. First time builders run the risk of static or damage to the parts especially mounting the CPU. Personally I would never buy a prebuilt one but if time and patience is lacking I don't see anything wrong with buying one.

I agree with all of this. Yes you get more for you money building your own, and you'll have a better technical understanding of computers, but building computers isn't everyone's thing. Some of us simply want to plug the thing in and go.

I have a year old VAIO 2.8 GHz and so far haven't had a problem with it ... which is more than I can say for some other computers I've owned. I increased the ram to 2 gig, added another internal and a couple of external drives and Photoshop runs quite quickly on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back