Which has the best sound quality ?

Thank you for helping me to choose

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by XP_98
Who could compare both ?
Which has the best sound quality ?

Thank you for helping me to choose

IMHO Vaio Pocket outperforms in every aspect except size.

Apr 14, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #3 of 19
The Zen Touch has the best sound quality I've heard on a portable MP3 player.

Apr 14, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 19
Could someone compare both using ER4-P headphones ?

Apr 14, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 19
My first HD based DAP was a 30gb Zen Xtra, I then purchased a Pocket Vaio once it supported MP3 natively this past January. During the time I owned both (ended up selling the xtra) I found that the Sony did indeed beat the Zen in most category's. Without a doubt the build quality between the two was like night and day. The Sony Vaio is REALLY well built, it oozes style, and the screen is razor sharp and clear. But when it comes down to it the music quality is what is most important next to the interface.

The Sony's interface takes a little bit to get used to but once I did I felt it was superior to the Zen. I like the way the Zen handles playlists better, and it is a bit easier to generate on the fly playlists than the Sony. Other than that, to me, the Sony was more intuitive. I can't comment on the touch pad on the Zen since I had the Xtra, but the G pad on the Sony is great. After about an hour or so of use I became very comfortable with it and navigate really fast now.

Sound quality wise I like the Sony sound. Both sounded great, but the Sony sounded more warm and full to me. When it comes down to it I think it will be a matter of taste for how you like your music to sound. Both are very good.
The Zen seems more detailed or sharp. Hard to explain as I am not an "audiophile".

What ended up selling me on the Sony, since the sound quality is great on both:

1: Build quality.

2: The screen.

3: Cradle, I love the fact I can just stick it in the cradle to charge and transfer music, then go. No wires to plug unplug etc. The cradle also has a line out. I keep mine plugged into my system in the bedroom so I can que up anything to listen to at a touch. When I am ready to go I pick it up and go. Easy. The Sony also displays the time and date on its screen when in the dock so it acts like a clock. It also can be programmed to turn itself on and off. Or it will automatically turn itself off after sitting dormant for so long. I use it to listen to music while going to sleep at night. After the playlist/album it quietly turns itself off and turns back into a clock.

4: Style and uniqueness. Have not seen one other person with one of these.

One real dislike with the Sony:

Sonic Stage. 3.0 is much better than 2.3, but still has a ways to go.

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 19
The Vaio pocket has a great screen on it, considerably better than the ipod photo. It also plays gapless (using atrac codec). It's too bad accessories for it are quite lacking. An extra cradle, case, etc. would make it more useful.

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerith
My first HD based DAP was a 30gb Zen Xtra, I then purchased a Pocket Vaio once it supported MP3 natively this past January. During the time I owned both (ended up selling the xtra) I found that the Sony did indeed beat the Zen in most category's.

He wants a comparison with the Zen Touch, not the Zen Xtra. With the exception of the removable battery, I think the Zen Touch is an improvement over the Zen Xtra is terms of build quality and overall usage.

cool.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 19
And what about the sound quality, also improved ?

... and how does it compared to VAIO's ?

Apr 14, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1
He wants a comparison with the Zen Touch, not the Zen Xtra. With the exception of the removable battery, I think the Zen Touch is an improvement over the Zen Xtra is terms of build quality and overall usage.

cool.gif

If you didn't know, audiophiles prefer the SQ of Xtra than Touch.

Apr 15, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2

...and the Nomad Jukebox 3 before that!
cool.gif

Apr 15, 2005 at 8:16 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2

A joke in the morning. Nice. I feel better.

Marco

Apr 15, 2005 at 11:53 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SDLeMire
The Vaio pocket has a great screen on it, considerably better than the ipod photo. It also plays gapless (using atrac codec). It's too bad accessories for it are quite lacking. An extra cradle, case, etc. would make it more useful.

You can order an extra cradle from Sony service and repair. Just call them and give them the model number which is on the bottom of the cradle. It is not available online.

They want $76.00 for one. To much $$ in my opinion.

Here is info:

Thank you for contacting Sony's Direct Accessories and Parts Center (DAPC USA).
Your question was: USB Cradle for the Sony VGF-AP1L Pocket Vaio. Looking for replacement price.

The items you requested are listed below.

Item 1 - Cradle, A1088556A -- $76.15 ea.

You may place your order by calling 1-800-488-7669.

Apr 15, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerith
You can order an extra cradle from Sony service and repair. Just call them and give them the model number which is on the bottom of the cradle. It is not available online.

They want $76.00 for one. To much $$ in my opinion.

Ouch! Well, Sony likes to overcharge for parts. I do wish Sony would have put some effort into the photo capabilities of the Vaio. It's pretty much useless as it is.

Apr 15, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by t10
XP_98, seeing as how you own a Minidisc, The VAIO will most likelly sound better to you. The Zen might feel a bit more cold and harsh, yet detailed.

Also, you sure you want a VAIO now, and not wait for an HD5 in May?

I'm not sure the sound quality level of the HD5 will be the same...

I own a minidisc, but I want a far better sound quality (also own a Iriver) !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back