Vacuum Tube Pre-amplifier With 5.1 Channel Surround Sound and Dolby Pro-Logic II
May 6, 2003 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bootman

King o'Ping
FAP_V1_hires.jpg

Features:
• Vacuum-tube based
• Dolby Pro Logic II decoding
• Center width adjustment
• Bass Blend
• Hi EQ
• Dimension control
• Multiple inputs
• Outputs (LF, CF, RF, LR, RR, Sub) Side Outputs (LS, RS)
• Clean simple control panel faceplate
• 7.1 Loop-Thru

Drool.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Price: $12,995

May 6, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 12
WOW! Thats gorgeous!

Looks like i'll have to formulate some plans about robbing the Glendale Train to finance that
biggrin.gif

Would be even better if they lost the cheesy wood panneling. 1/4" Slate Gray Alloy or Chrome all around and it would be killer in the looks department.

I always tend to find that valves are a little soft and sometimes lacking when it comes to HT. Not all of them mind.

My personal view is that good solid state stuff is best for HT.

May 6, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 12
Got a link to the site?

May 6, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
I always tend to find that valves are a little soft and sometimes lacking when it comes to HT. Not all of them mind.

My personal view is that good solid state stuff is best for HT.

i have to say that i agree, tubes just seem to have a certain slowness to them that while great for music, just doesn't sound right for movies.

this coming from my meager headphone setup experience.. i *loved* the sugden for movies, but the rkv is just unusable in that respect.

May 7, 2003 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 12
It is very nice looking; though a lighter color wood would probably look even better.

Tuberolling that thing has got to be expensive
eek.gif
. Though I suppose for $12,995 one shouldn't have to replace the tubes - but this is high-end equipment after all and who could resist tweaking any component no matter how expensive!?

So who's gonna buy one and gives us a review?
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 7, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i have to say that i agree, tubes just seem to have a certain slowness to them that while great for music, just doesn't sound right for movies.

this coming from my meager headphone setup experience.. i *loved* the sugden for movies, but the rkv is just unusable in that respect.

That’s what I thought, too.
I can’t stand midrange only slow, thick rosy-cozy tube sound. Bleh.
I certainly couldn’t deal with those for the kind of music I listen to. ( heavy techno/dance/electronica and thow in some non-gnagsta rap & R&B funk)

The thing is, not all tube gear sound like that. Some do bass dynamics remarkably better ( meaning they are much more nimble down there ) than larger solid states.
With tube gear tho, they do require bit more careful matching of speakers, in general.
( but nothing can save ‘em from poor circuit design and anemic OPTs )

I think properly designed amplifier whether tubes or SS, they would probably sound similar. Good sound is good sound. No such thing as ‘tube’ sound or ‘ss’ sound. IMHO.

My observation is that solid state amps that can portray goodness of tubes without any of the baggage of yore, cost arms and legs.

The main reason I switched from solid state to tube is not for their euphonic midrange quality or special presentation. Sure they can do those stupid audiophily tricks lot easier than solid states. But it’s because they, to my surprise, did better in timing and pace as well as overall transparency than the solid state amps I had on hand or any of others I could afford.

That’s why I’m sticking with tubes for now.

May 7, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 12
Wow, that thing is gorgeous! Too bad it has a price to match, and there's the aforementioned problems about tubey sound and movies not working well together. Maybe one could use it in the ultimate chick-flick HT setup...
evil_smiley.gif

May 7, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 12
$13K for a HT preamp that doesn't do Dolby Digital or DTS??
very_evil_smiley.gif

/me very much wants to see a vacuum tube Dolby Digital processor (next winter, maybe, and only if it's a cold one
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back