Vacation ideas
Sep 5, 2007 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
For winter break (dec 10-jan 1st) myself and the little lady need to go somewhere for vacation. Somewhere nice, relaxing (not camping), with some cool stuff to see/do.

A cruise would be nice for the 'everything taken care of' hotel-like aspect, but I think the boat part is kind of silly. What about ski resorts? Other resorts? I've never actually vacationed before, I've just gone on road trips.

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 14
Cruising is the way to go... the ships are like miniture cities and the excursions are all usually pretty sweet. I've been on two and think it's a great way to vacation.

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 14
how much money are you looking to spend?

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 14
Sep 6, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 14
someone told me of an all inclusive resort system like sandals thats for anyone (not just couples) thats all inclusive, and has a places all over in mexico for like 1000 a week per person, i'll see if i can remember the name for you

i think the resorts were called the occidental grand

Sep 6, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 14
You're located well to get to Mexico cheaply. I've had plenty of fun flying twice to Cancun (and immediately leaving) and spending a vacation split between Merida and Playa del Carmen and stops to Mayan ruins in between.

Sep 6, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
someone told me of an all inclusive resort system like sandals thats for anyone (not just couples) thats all inclusive, and has a places all over in mexico for like 1000 a week per person, i'll see if i can remember the name for you

i think the resorts were called the occidental grand

All inclusive resorts can be a blast. The wife and I went to the Dominican Republic a few years ago and stayed at the Iberostar Bavaro, and absolutely loved it. Great food, fantastic service, and best of all, even drinks are included. No nasty surprises at the end of the trip, like huge bar tabs you didn't realize you ran up. (I know quite a few people who have been on cruises and gotten the rude shock of a $500 or more bar tab at the end of their cruise. One couple nearly doubled the cost of their cruise with their bar tab, but they were heavy partyers. YMMV)

Sep 26, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #9 of 14
What is so great about the country? I work for the travel agency and so far we never worked with this destination, cause of the political situation out there.
At the moment we work closely with the digital product development agency called zoftify and want to launch absolutely new and innovative travel platform in the next couple of months. I will try to research more information about Peru and maybe recommend it to our clients as well.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 14
I like traveling to popular places like Las Vegas, Paris, etc….

However I also like traveling to unpopular places like Haiti (doing volunteer work) and Arkansas…..Unpopular places can definitely be interesting and make you feel that you learned something nobody else knows

There’s definitely a potential uniqueness in visiting unpopular places that can be more fulfilling than visiting the popular spots

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 14
One of the most interesting places I’ve visited was in rural areas in Arkansas

Houses were literally destroyed because people were so poor and abandoning the areas or could not maintain them. The food was terrible too if you could find a road side restaurant due to poor conditions.

Ghost towns and empty back roads.

Absolutely depressing and terrible…..However I found it so unique and fascinating. Most Americans don’t visit these weird places in the south but I try to visit these “train wreck” locations whenever I can. It’s a creepy twilight zone like experience. But strangely attractive to me.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #12 of 14
Any travel plans for Christmas? This year, we've planned a very unusual trip and decided to visit Romania and Bulgaria. Both countries are new for my wife and me, so it will be an interesting experience for both of us. I've checked that we need a vignette for those countries. Do you think it makes sense to order that in advance at https://vignette.express, or should I just relax and purchase it somewhere near the border?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #13 of 14
Some people say they never travel but that’s actually not true,

The earth rotates around the sun in 365 days which is one year. The travel distance of the earth around the sun is 584 million miles. So without realizing it you are traveling throughout the universe

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #14 of 14
Some people say they never travel but that’s actually not true,

The earth rotates around the sun in 365 days which is one year. The travel distance of the earth around the sun is 584 million miles. So without realizing it you are traveling throughout the universe
wow, thats sound really crazy, but thats true, i like your thoughts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back