V6 owner wishes to upgrade.
Dec 7, 2001 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

NASUM

New Head-Fier
Well I've had my v6s for quite a while now and was wondering what would be a proper upgrade? I like the sound of the v6s I was just wanting something a little better for bass and soundstage. I got to keep them closed though. Any suggestions?

Dec 7, 2001 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 25
well depends on your application
if your bass isn't enough
you want more mid-bass

but most headphones will lose detail and sound stage with more mid-bass

acctuality it's hard to find closed cans with any better midbass than even the v6

i'd say take alook at the beyer line

but still....
if midbass you want
technics 1200 or stanton dj ministry of sound

Dec 7, 2001 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 25
Whoa. I need detail. lots of it. No less than with the v6s. V6 bass is okay. I just heard beyer may be better. But what about beyer detail??? Ahh too many choices.

Dec 7, 2001 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 25
Either go with Etymotics or Beyer 831s. Not too much out there otherwise, other than Sony CD3000s and R10s and Stax 4070s for closed 'phones.

Dec 7, 2001 at 9:44 AM Post #6 of 25
The Beyers would be the only thing that could match or exceed the bass of the V6s. I think your source may be lacking if you think the bass of V6 is lacking much.

A good source with either the Beyers or V6s will knock your ass off in the bass department. It will also be next to impossible to find a phone with both the quality of deep bass & detail the V6 has. The Beyers would be the only candidate.

Dec 7, 2001 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 25
Yeah, but the Senn 495s are open-back. And Sennheiser isn't known for making good closed headphones other than two EXPENSIVE ones: the HD25 and the tough-to-drive HD250II.

Dec 7, 2001 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 25
I have DT931, similar to DT831 which is closed. DT 931 is much brighter than V6. Beside the deep bass feeling of V6, DT 931 beat V6 by far for home listening, the high is the most noticeable, the bass is quicker and tigher, Overall sound more clean and musical. DT831 is a closed phone, it may give a better bass feeling than 931 but a bit more muddy.

Denon 9?? (950?) is also a good upgrade from V6 w/o an amp. I have only listened to it for 5-10 minutes. Its sound warmer, more musical and better vocal, but the bass is not as deep as V6, just a tiny bit (from a PCDP).

Dec 7, 2001 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 25
The answer is Etymotics. The answer is always Etymotics!

I have a well worn pair of Sony V6. I went from them to the Etys, and rarely used the Sonys after that. More recently I wanted some closed cans for work, and I wanted a bit more comfort and detail than the V6 offered. I opted for the DT831s. I really like the way they sound. More detailed than the V6, although somewhat brighter. The bass response is tighter than the V6, which seems to result in less percieved bass quantity. I haven't heard any phone that will pump out more bass quantity than the V6, although I suspect the Grados can pull it off.

The DT831 don't isolate quite as well as the V6. They are more comfortable, but they are big. Due to the large round earcups they are less svelt than the V6, or even the HD600s. I am finding the DT831 plus Corda amp is a fantastic combination that would be tough to beat for the money, especially if you need closed phones to keep the sound from leaking out. If you need isolation, then Etys are the answer.

Dec 7, 2001 at 2:39 PM Post #11 of 25
ety is great!

or Beyer 770 or 831! are basically your only good choices

3000 and R10 is still um a open/closed style can
with alot of sound leakage............

where as the beyers or etys are going to isolate and not let as much sound as
open cans

again really hard to find some good cans with good bass like v6

Dec 7, 2001 at 3:51 PM Post #14 of 25
However, the 950s aren't as detailed as the V6s, and he said losing any detail compared to the V6 is unacceptable. So I gotta agree w/ the Beyers and Ety suggestions.

Dec 7, 2001 at 3:58 PM Post #15 of 25
I wouldn't go with the beyer 831s or 931s if you want bass response, go for the 250s or 770s if you're thinking of beyers with good isolation and bass response
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back