v6 or open phones for music practice?
Oct 21, 2001 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

tim13

New Head-Fier
hi all, i've had trouble posting, so i apologize if I've accidentally posted this twice...

I just got a digital piano and am looking for some good headphones under $100 for daily practicing. I've never bought headphones before, so I've been reading as many lists and threads here and on headwize as I can.

So far, the V6's look like they'd be good, but I'm wondering whether I should also look at open headphones. Would open headphones be more comfortable, or feel more i'm playing in an open room? Or do you think the V6's would work well? (Any alternative suggestions would be great, too.)

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Tim

Oct 21, 2001 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 20
I would think for practice, some open cans would be more comfortable for exended wear, still let you hear the phone ring, knocks at the door, and yet not disturb others in the house with your practice. As far as innexpensive open cans, I don't have much to recommend except maybe the Koss Porta Pros or Sennheiser HD-414s. Whaddya'll think?? I think Radio Shack sells a Prota Pro equiv also in something called a Pro 25? Am I out of date here?

Cheers!

Oct 21, 2001 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 20
What was I thinking??
Grado SR80, Sennheiser HD495, and Beyer DT231s are all on Headroom's recommended list for open cans under 100 bucks. What do the rest of you think?

Oct 21, 2001 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 20
what sort of music do you play?
practising on a digital piano with headphones?

how times have changed...

i can't say i like the idea of using headphones to monitor your piano performance, but if you have to do it then spend as MUCH as you can possibly afford on a nice pair of open-aired headphones and a headphone amp...

Oct 21, 2001 at 7:32 AM Post #5 of 20
I'm studying jazz piano. Digital's not ideal, I know, but while I'm living in an apartment w/ roommates and neighbors sharing walls, it'll have to do.

Thanks to you both for the suggestions so far. I do have a newbie question: Is "open-air" the same as "open?" Why would that be better, aside from being able to hear the phone ring, etc? Are they comfortable? I've started reading up a bit on the Grados that kwkarth mentioned, and they sound great, but I'm a bit worried about some people's comments about discomfort.

Oct 21, 2001 at 7:33 AM Post #6 of 20
Open or closed headphone is not going to make alot difference if you are monitoring yourself playing keyboards. Open headphones can sound more spacious with spacious recordings or feeds, (ie. orchestra or bigband or solo/group recordings in large venues.) but not with a direct feed out of your keyboard or mixer.

V6s with the standard pleather pads can become uncomfortable after about an hour for me(I have big head
biggrin.gif
). If you're going to use them longer than that, and you have a bighead, you can get the Beyer velour pads for them, or you can gently bend the metal bars to suit your cranium. In comparison to other phones they're pretty comfortable though.

I think they sound the best for under $100, and offer very good isolation if that is a concern.

I have actually messed around with my brother's keyboard w/ the V6/7506s and they work fine soundwise.

Oct 21, 2001 at 7:35 AM Post #7 of 20
Actually, I have to disagree with the above recommendations. The Sony MDR-V6 would actually be great phones. First of all, they're *extremely* accurate -- more so than any of those other cans. Second, the fact that they're closed means you won't disturb anyone, and external noise won't disturb you (great for concentration while practicing). Third, they are very comfortable.

Some of the headphones mentioned above (Senn 495, Beyers) would require an amp. The Grados are, IMO, too fatiquing when used with an electric piano (I've tried them with a good keyboard before). Also, the PortaPros, while great for portable listening, are a bit over-bassy and tight.

Add the Beyer 250 velour pads to the V6, and you have an extremely comfortable headphone that is great for using with an electric piano.

Oct 21, 2001 at 7:38 AM Post #8 of 20
Open and "Open Aire" really mean the same. Sennheiser coined the phrase "Open Aire". I think you'll find the V6s more comfortable than Grados, but you may find the Grados warmer in a coloured kinduv way. V6 are more accurate than Grados at that price point IMO. You should audition first.

Oct 21, 2001 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 20
tktran - just noticed you're in perth.

i'm sitting here in leederville as i type this. just got back form a lovely weekend in margaret river.

good to see a local around!

Oct 21, 2001 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 20
it depends how juicy that HP jack is on your keys....

I mean, my 15 mw ancient Sony PCDP drives the quite nicely - VERY bright, and lacking a little punch - and not too enjoyable - BUT - hey, he'll be practicing piano....

I dunno.

V6 makes more sense, tho - VERY efficient - so why take the chance?

Oct 21, 2001 at 4:23 PM Post #14 of 20
i got them from douglas hifi, as i do most of my gear. they list at AU$350 i believe, and i got them for AU$250.

i always deal with steve when i go there - he's a good guy.

lucien

Users who are viewing this thread

Back