V6 Cord Trouble?
Mar 14, 2002 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

misterwight

Head-Fier
Hi folks. I received my V6s from etronics.com a couple days ago. They sound wonderful, so my thanks to my advisors. I have a problem, though. Every time I jiggle the connector at the end of the cord a slight bit, I get a lot of static, with sound fuzzing in and out of each phone. Also, even when I'm not playing with it, I sometimes hear a slight bit of static, usually at loud points in a given song. This occurs on both my computer (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz) and my PCDP. (Philips AZ9101)

Is there something wrong with the cord, or is this considered normal? I'm sure there's some information I'm missing, so let me know what you need to know.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 14, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 12
This is not normal. May well be a bad cord if it occurs with multiple sources. I would contact etronics for a replacement.

Jon
owner of 2 MDR-V-6's (inc. from etronics)

Mar 14, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 12
agreed, I've never had problems like that, and I've had two pairs of v6s. I'd contact etronics.

Mar 15, 2002 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 12
I e-mailed etronics. This was their (abridged) response:

"We're sorry to hear you're having trouble with your merchandise!
All returns must be packed in the manufacturer's box and then placed in another
shipping box (you can use the one you received with your order). We will
absolutely refuse any manufacturer's box that has been written on, or has any
extra tape on it.
Merchandise must be in mint condition, the way it was received. It
cannot have any scratches or any other damages.

Ship the package via ground shipping method, such as the US Post Office or UPS,
Be sure to have it insured and request a receipt.

The package must be postmarked within 1 week of the date this exchange
authorization# was issued or the number will no longer be valid."

I rubbed the jack thoroughly with my shirt, and played with the cord connection a bit, and the problem seems to have gone away. I'm not sure I want to bother with shipping these things out and waiting for a replacement. I definitely don't want to pay for it, that rather bothers me. Is it possible that the connector was just dirty, or the cord slightly loose? What do you suppose I should do about this? I haven't contacted Sony yet, but I will shortly.

Mar 15, 2002 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 12
I suppose I might be stuck exchanging them. I've recently found that there's a slight echo to the sound. I'm not sure if this is related to the cord issue or not, but it's fairly noticable in songs with distinct vocals. I don't suppose this is a flaw in the V6 design, is it?

Mar 15, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 12
not that I've noticed. Honestly, I'd recommend you spend the few bucks to return them. It's worth it for the piece of mind that you get knowing for sure that your phones don't have something wrong with them. Otherwise you'll always be listening trying to hear if something's wrong rather than enjoying the music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 12
Jhyt:
>Hi, I'm planning to buy a pair of Sony V6 too. Can anyone
>tell me whether Etronics is reliable or not?

I can't address that question, but I can tell you that
ShopSunshine.com has a lower cost after shipping, and
they're a five-star merchant, according to Yahoo. That's
where I got mine.

Mar 16, 2002 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 12
My V6 headphones had exactly the problem you describe but were bought from a Chinatown store where returns were not accepted. I brought them to the repair basement at the Sony Store in NYC; since they hadn't been bought there, the V6s were shipped elsewhere for repairs. A week later, I got a call from the guy who was testing my headphones. He'd found nothing wrong with the headphones themselves and so replaced the cord before having them shipped to my door. Result: I now have a pair of V6s with a quiet cord and a gold jack (which means they've morphed into a pair of 7506s). The only extra money I had to spend was $3.00 for a round trip subway ride.

(And yes, in my experience, Etronics is reliable.)

Mar 16, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 12
I don't think there's a Sony store in the twin cities. Otherwise, I probably would take them there. I've already packaged up the phones, and addressed the box. I'm probably just going to take them to the post office on monday and cross my fingers. I appreciate the advice though.

Mar 16, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #12 of 12
Etronics is a very reliable place to order from. I bought my V6's from them without any trouble. I had to exchange mine due to one side being louder than the other. Took about 2 weeks to get a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back