V6 Circumaural-ness
Oct 26, 2001 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cleveland_indian

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking around these board for a couple of weeks now, reading what all of you have to say about headphones and whatnot. I bought a pair of KSC-35's back in July after reading the review over at headroom and I love them. I'm using them with the upside-down clip mod suggested by the wise buddha a couple of days ago. I also just got a set of MX-500's yesterday and I'm beginning to love those too.

Now to the point. I'm looking for a pair of full sized headphones ~$100 bucks and I've narrowed it down to the Grado SR80, Sony V6, and the Senn HD495. I'll be using them mostly at work, but it's still ok if I use an open set of 'phones because I don't listen to music very loudly, nor is there anyone in my direct vicinity that cares about what I'm listening too. The music is coming out of my computer and I've been using my 35's but my ears can't handle several straight hours in those clips, so now I'm looking for a full sized set. I'm leaning towards the V6's right now and I wanted to know if they would be circumaural on my ears with the Beyer pads (if someone who has this Beyer-V6 setup could measure the dimensions (H, W, Depth) maybe?). Also, if they're not circumaural, I was curious if anybody has had any fatgue issues with the V6-Beyer pad combination resulting from the outer ear being pressed back against the head.

I listen mostly to hip-hop, so bass is somewhat important. I'm getting the impression that the V6's are the way to go.

Thanks in advance, because I know you guys are gonna be helpful
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2001 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 11
The HD495s weakness is bass, so just based off that I would advise against them - but, they are probably the most comfortable headphones of the bunch (But they are supra-aural).

Oct 26, 2001 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

I listen mostly to hip-hop, so bass is somewhat important. I'm getting the impression that the V6's are the way to go.

I don't know about the 495s as I have never heard them, but the V6s will provide much deeper bass than the SR-80s.

Oct 27, 2001 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 11
Welcome to Head-Fi, cleveland_indian! I have the V6s with the Beyer velour pads. I wouldn't call them circumaural, unless you had VERY small ears. The interior dimensions of the oval pads are: 1 3/8 inches wide and 2 1/4 high. The pads do press against the outer portions of my ears, and can get quite hot after an extended listening session. But the bass, particularly for the type of music you listen to, might make the heat worth it. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2001 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

I wouldn't call them circumaural, unless you had VERY small ears.

Hey, I don't have VERY small ears, and they're circumaural for me
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2001 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 11
If you've got a juicy amp behind the 495s, they don't have STRONG, POWERFUL bass - but lots of hip-hop does, so perhaps the 495s would have just enough kick to provide a very fluid, non-fatiguing presentation.

But.....without an amp.....fuggedaboutit.

Oct 28, 2001 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks everybody. I think my ears are a little bigger than the pads joelongwood, but I'm hoping it'll still be "comfy"
wink.gif
due to the velour and extra padding.

I think I'll order this combo and see how it works out for me. If it's no good, I can always return it and go back to shopping.

I love shopping.

Nov 17, 2001 at 6:06 AM Post #11 of 11
Beyer 250-80's might be good for Rap, That's what I might get, I tried the V6s before, ahhh total bass-gasm ~
eek.gif
And I am told that the Beyers go deeper
smily_headphones1.gif
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back