V6 and Beyer Pads: Sound difference?
Mar 8, 2004 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Newbie1

100+ Head-Fier
Having read a few posts talking about a change in the sound of the V6 after putting on the Beyer pads, I am a bit confused. Does anyone have a definite answer on whether or not the sound changes, or is this just a matter of what really is a small difference being magnified in some peoples ears? Also, is the comfort issue based on whether or not the headphones surround your ears or sit on them. Lets say that the stock pads covered everybodys ears would nobody then change to the beyers, or is there some other reason for switching.

Mar 8, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 5
The Beyer pads do change the sound... I think they sounded scratchier to me (drivers farther away from the ears?), but this was a looooooooooooong time ago that I tried it so don't regard this as a definitive opinion. Comfort goes up because they go around your ears and also the pads are velour, but isolation goes down too. I didn't like the change. Took off the pads and continued to be as happy as I ever was with the 7506 with the stock pads.

Mar 8, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 5
While the comfort improvement is a no-brainer for most, the sound issue is debatable. I hardly noticed a difference, save for somewhat increased bass and treble, which made the mids sound somewhat (relatively) recessed. The isolation for me actually improved. With the stock pleather pads the V6 was supra-aural, and sat on top of my ears rather than around them. The Beyer pads allowed the V6 to surround my ears like a circumaural design, which increased the isolation quite a bit (and the comfort was much improved).

Mar 8, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 5
I guess the comfort/isolation factor with the Sonys really depends on the listener, because my V6's with stock pleather pads are circum-aural on me, unlike you NeilPeart
smily_headphones1.gif
... I may have smaller ears than most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back