V6/7506 vs. SennHD280 vs. E2c vs. ATH500 vs......?
Apr 13, 2004 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Lippy

100+ Head-Fier
I know this had been discussed in many parts of this forum, but was hoping to concentrate it for help in my own deliberations about which good-value (up to $150?), nice-sounding closed HP to buy for my Zen Xtra - UNamped.

I would appreciate any advice or insight you have.

I am currently listening to my new Grado SR60s (with new, q-modded Senn 414 pads) and love them.

So, the criteria for my current HP search are:

Closed/sealed
UNamped
up to approximately $150
Are a joy to listen to
Are not for bass-heads
Are portable

Thanks!
280smile.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 11
Closed/sealed
UNamped
up to approximately $150
Are a joy to listen to
Are not for bass-heads
Are portable

well that would rule out the v6, they have some powerful bass and arent very portable. i dont see the ath-500 or hd280 being portable either. the e2c on the other hand fits all the requirements and i dont think they are basshead headphones at all, they are not $150.

i think e2c fairly does well with what you already have, the bass level is in between the sr60 and k401. little aggressive but not as much as the sr60, alittle more details, but weaker trebles.

there's the e3c for $150, but i dont know anything about them.

Apr 13, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 11
Well, I guess it depends on your idea of portability, but I'm assuming since you listed the V6 and HD280 as possibilities, you don't mind the size of them? Of these, I'd also throw the Ultrasone HFI-650 in the mix. As you said, you don't really want that much bass (or is it you just don't want the bass to dominate the mix?)... and the V6 has quite a bit of bass. But they do have quite a bit of highs and are extremely detailed (grainy to some). The V6, HD280 and HFI-650 all fold up as well, so they store nicely in a backpack or something like that. I'll have to advise that the HD280 has a rather "large" vice-like look that may not be exactly flattering to wear in public. These all are also sufficiently powered by most headphone jacks without additional amplification.

For more information, please check out this review.

Apr 13, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by jade
did you try etymotic er-6? i think it would be perfect for you

Not for bassheads, as the ER-6 does not have much bass (unless you EQ it, but then it starts to sound very unnatural and a bit bloated... )

Apr 13, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #11 of 11
I have fond memories of the V6. The great V6. I was living in New York at the time, in 1989. I was bored, lonely, tired, in graduate studies and I decided to treat myself to this "new" thing called CD. I bought an early Sony PCDP from a store 2 blocks from my studio on the upper west side. took it home and popped in a Bach CD I bought with the player (I still have that CD). I listened with the stock headphones that came with the player and was in audio shock. I immediately returned to the store and bought the best headphones they had (the V6's) with that bright attractive "Digital" sticker. Went home and listened entranced to the same Bach CD for days, revived, enchanted. I still have those headphones but long ago dropped the player and abandoned it. But I have never returned to tapes or records. When I listen to these 15 year old headphones I still have the same magic. I'll put them up against my senns, my grados, and my W1000's, sit back and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back