V3 or Equinox cables for AKG K701?
Aug 18, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 21
My experience recabling the K601 yielded a nice improvement in the bass, in terms of alleviating the thin bass. However, this is still a subtle effect in absolute terms and I very much doubt 'premium' cables to offer that much more. You might want to look at EQ-ing or a different pair of phones. They might just work out better and definitely offer better value for the money.

Cheers!

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 21
I'm using a black dragon, and I would never go back.

The black dragon is the first aftermarket cable I've purchased (I usually recable myself) and I bought it as a package. I never liked the K701 in the past, due largely to weak bass, but the black dragon changed my mind.

My A/B comparisons were noticeably skewed in favor of the recable, with a good degree of added warmth and punch in the bass. Actual extension still lags behind other full size 'phones, but I can give up some extension for the beautiful soundstage the 701s give me.
Also worth noting that my 701s had about 1000 more hours of burn in than the stock pair. Keep listening.

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 21
at a new york meet, myself and another headfier compared 3 balanced K701s - black dragon, equinox, and cardas all on my apache. we came to the same conclusion. the black dragon and equinox both sounded excellent and very similar, and both were preferred over the cardas. i have also heard the K701 with an APS cable (v.2 not v.3) and would say that the black dragon or equinox is a better fit.

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 21
I have an APS V3 recable on my K701 and I really enjoy it. It accentuates everything I liked about the phones.

I liked the K701 from the start and wanted to fulfill it's potential. It's an expensive endeavor, particularly considered the price of the headphones, but I felt I had found my sound and wanted the most out of it.

The recable extended the bass, adding more detail and tonality. Getting an Oritek OMZ dac really brought out the bass, full and accurate. Simply amazing. So the K701 can produce great bass depending on more factors than just cables.

Aug 19, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 21
In my experience, the K-701 benefits considerably from thicker wires.
To say it as it is, AKG chose a cable that is more suitable for $3.99 IEMs than "premium class reference headphones". Their marketing manager should have a brief listen to a few aftermarket cables and re-think their "save the last penny" strategy.
Detachable cables is not a great audiophile strategy, decent cables are.
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon
Recables that cost hundreds of dollars go best with headphones that cost thousands of dollars.

What if you happened to like a $250 set just like a $2000 set?!
Price is close to meaningless in this market. It's more a managerial decision (i.e., they flip a coin at hole #5 before lunch break) than real-life value.

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 21
from the SAA page. take from it what you will.

Quote:

The K701 Stock Cable Shortcomings: The AKG stock wiring design sends the right channel through the two plastic coated solid steel headband wires and then uses high gauge chassis wires to complete the path to the + and - driver posts. This degrades the right (and left) channel signal path and forces the right channel signal to travel about 22" further. As for the AKG stock cable itself, the high gauge wire and the thick rubber/plastic dielectric decreases the bass response, flattens the sound-stage and veils the audio spectrum.

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 21
I have had my APureSound V3 re-cabled K701 for about 4 months. I have compared them w/ an stock K701 and the sound of the re-cable can is much more detailed, clear, more extension, and better controlled bass. To me it was money well spent.

Aug 20, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairbanks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what after market cables do you use

I've listened to several and the bass reinforcement is universal. I even constructed my own. Similar effect. Guess which is the original AKG wire in the picture...

Aug 20, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #14 of 21
The k701, even with stock cord, is a great headphone.

Fairbanks, did the reviews you read speak highly of the stock corded version in comparison to a recable?

Most everyone I've known who has heard a recabled version has preferred it to the stock cable. Of course, the kind of people who listen to recabled headphones are exactly the kind to think that sort of thing necessary...

Aug 20, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 21
It comes down to this.I can't justify spending roughly $280 on a recable when I enjoy the 701 as is.If there is a difference with the recabling as both you and Ori suggest I'll take your word for it and happy listening.I'd rather find better ways to spend my money.Also awhile back I owned the Senn 650 with the Cardas cable and when I swiched back to the stock cord and did a comparison between the two I could not tell any differences.That was my cable training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back