V281 as preamp for Wa22
Jan 11, 2020 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Empyah

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys!

I want to try using my Violectric V281 and its volume pot, as a preamp for my Woo Audio Wa22 1st gen as one user here is using it.
The impedance matching is fine for those two (0.2 to 100k) both have ballanced inputs and outputs, both are headphone amps.

My question is - since i want to use the V281s volume pot in which position do i want the Wa22s pot?
Full throttle or somewhere in the middle?

Is there a possibility of magic smoke? :wink:

Thanks in advance for your answers and suggestions guys!

Cheers,

Marijan

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 6
I want to try using my Violectric V281 and its volume pot, as a preamp for my Woo Audio Wa22 1st gen as one user here is using it.
The impedance matching is fine for those two (0.2 to 100k) both have ballanced inputs and outputs, both are headphone amps.

My question is - since i want to use the V281s volume pot in which position do i want the Wa22s pot?
Full throttle or somewhere in the middle?

But why.

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 6
First of all - because I can. Secondly, the Violectrics pot is much better.
And third because it is an interesting experiment (at least to me).

Plus my Gumby has only one balanced out so this way i can get balanced inputs for both my amps.

On another note - if you can not answer that question yourself please do not bother this thread with useless noise,
since it is a simple question - that, I am sure, many will want to have answered,
at least to not fry their gear.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 6
First of all - because I can.

Ever heard of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should?"

Secondly, the Violectrics pot is much better.

Then use the Violectric as the amplifier instead of potentially sending a, what, a 10V active preamp signal to the WA22 like you were planning.

And third because it is an interesting experiment (at least to me).

Not to me, hence my question.

Plus my Gumby has only one balanced out so this way i can get balanced inputs for both my amps.

https://www.markertek.com/product/vs-4x/kramer-vs-4x-4x1-balanced-audio-passive-switcher

On another note - if you can not answer that question yourself please do not bother this thread with useless noise,
since it is a simple question - that, I am sure, many will want to have answered,
at least to not fry their gear.

Thank you.

On another note, if you think that asking a simple question as to why you would want to do something so unusual as to be needlessly complex and outright problematic, and then get miffed when such a question is raised, I would also remind you that forums are not for blowing smoke up your arse.

Thank you.

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 6
On another note, if you think that asking a simple question as to why you would want to do something so unusual as to be needlessly complex and outright problematic, and then get miffed when such a question is raised, I would also remind you that forums are not for blowing smoke up your arse.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Wohoo, calm down there buddy - dont get your panties in a bunch!

On a serious note - can we start over? It was a simple enough question *** - " What do i do with the Wa22s pot?"
Can you give me more concrete information than that big list of generalisations up there?

Why do people use preamps for power amps? I want to hear if there will be a difference, the V281 is a preamp, has lineout and is thus made for this experiment.
Worst case it sounds less good, best case it gets better or stays the same.

A user here, Badas, did the same thing (pm-ed him) here is the thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/woo-audio-wa22-amp-owner-unite.826386/page-24

Make of his impressions and this experiment what you will, it seems to be worth a try.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #6 of 6
Then use the Violectric as the amplifier instead of potentially sending a, what, a 10V active preamp signal to the WA22 like you were planning.

This caught my eye - sounds like potential magic smoke material - can you further elaborate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back