V-Shaped Signature Headphones to replace TF10's for Home Use?
Aug 9, 2012 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lawlz

Head-Fier
I recently fell in love with my TF10's after shelving them for a while, trying the Earsonics SM3 V2's and Westone UM3X's. Although both were good, they didn't have that in your face and engaging sound of the TF10's. However, I want something "better" for home use.

I have a Fiio E17 (DAC only) and a Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G (Amp) linked to either a Sony Walkman Z w/ LOD or my laptop.

Budget <$300.

Is there anything that would sound similar and BETTER than my TF10's at this price range? I wouldn't want to side-grade to a headphone just for the sake of having a headphone.

I've been considering the following:

Pioneer HDJ-2000
Ultrasone Pro 900

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm not sure you'll find anything in that price range.  There's a lot of buzz about modded T50RP's that run around $300, might be your only bet.  I'm on the verge of picking some up to listen soon myself.  Possibly Fidelio L1's which are supposed to have a nice amount of energy to them, but haven't heard them myself.

I have a pair of Dennon 2000's that I bought used for a good price, but I haven't been satisfied compared to the engaging Triple Fi 10's.  They work, they certainly have the V shape sound signature, they reach lower in the sub-bass department, but the curve falls off too quickly in the upper-low end.  I realized this one day when I listening to one of my favorite Chili Pepper tracks and realized I wasn't enjoying it as much as usual, then I noticed I could barely find Flea's bass line. 

It's a shame I can't have TF10's crammed in my ears all day at work, but I'm still looking for a moderately priced headphone that compares to them myself.

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 4
I am on the same boat as you. I like v shape sound and hoped the d2000 would work. They sure sound amazing. But not that v shaped sound.

I was thinking of trying the Ultrasone 900 next.

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 4
Heya,

Sounds to me like you might enjoy:

(Open)

Beyer DT990
Ultrasone HFI 2400, PRO 2500, PRO 2900

(Closed)

Denon D2000, D5000
Beyer DT770
Ultrasone PRO 750, PRO 900
AudioTechnica A900X
T50RP modded (suggest Mad Dog)

And of course, something to consider, take any good headphone with a good flat frequency response, and apply a gentle EQ to it, and you can make anything into a "V" signature headphone essentially. Not all drivers respond the same to EQing, but there are quite a few that can become monstrous. If you're interested in this, the Beyer DT880 can get very bassy and keep great detail; the Hifiman HE-400 (though above your price range by a little); Brainwavz  HM5 (Fischer Audio FA003), Fischer Audio FA002, Sennheiser HD580 & HD600.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back